Sparkle in Your Step: Long Boots vs. Short Boots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

As reds, yellows, browns, and greens slowly begin to color the NYC streets, it comes time to stash those summer sundresses and say hello to the coziest of fall fashions. With its refreshing cool chills, gorgeous fall foliage, decorated pumpkins, and of course, everyone’s much-anticipated Starbucks fav the pumpkin spice latte, fall is a glorious time of year with an equally palatable selection of seasonal styles. As it comes time to shelve your favorite strappy sandals and pull out your best boots, bear in mind just a couple of tips from your most-trusted style panel.

On a crisp autumn day in NYC, a chic pair of boots goes a long way. Whether you opt for edgy, menswear inspired, printed, or over-the-knee, boots are a wardrobe staple suited to pretty much any ensemble. That said, pairing the right boot with the right outfit is, of course, key. Lucky for you, we’ve compiled some expert tips on how to get this tried-and-true look just right.

Short Boots

Boyfriend jeans: Stay comfy and stylish in a relaxed pair of boyfriend jeans. Cuff them to the ankle and wear them with a pair of cute booties. Dress this look up with a sleek blazer or dress it down with a simple plaid shirt. Either way, you’re sure to radiate an effortless glow!

Leather, Printed, and Cargo Pants: Stand out and speak your mind in a unique twist on a classic staple. Let the pants do the talking and wear a neutral, understated pair of short boots to complement your fierce and stylin’ outfit.

Shorts: Shorts don’t need to be shoved to the back of your closet once the hot summer sun cools down. Throw ‘em over a pair of tights and you’re ready for that pleasantly mild autumn chill. Pair with your favorite booties for a cool and grungy edge, or, depending on shape and texture, a polished touch.

These Seychelles booties are to-die for!

Tall Boots

Skinnies: A classic pair of skinnies are a must-have for every fall season. Tuck under a pair of sleek riding boots, and you’ve elevated your look from just simple to effortlessly timeless.

Leggings (a last resort, ladies): Your first class is in twenty minutes. Which usually means two things: 1) your options are limited, 2) you were in Butler until 2 am last night and you’d rather be rockin’ your PJ’s to your morning orgo class than anything that even closely resembles an outfit. In this case, and always in this case (minus a few exceptions), do we give you the go-ahead to break out your comfiest leggings. Dress them up with a pair of tall boots, and you’ve accomplished the definition of turning drab into fab. Simple and chic, people might actually think you’re wearing pants. And if you somehow manage to accomplish this objective on the reg, feel free to rock your leggings throughout the chilly months ahead.

Both:
Mini Skirts: Don’t send your mini skirts packing just yet. Pair them with a pair of tights this season and your favorite pair of boots – tall or short are usually both viable options when it comes to rocking this look. If, however, you decide against the tights, short boots are a better choice. Just trust us on this one.
Dresses: A dress will look fantastic with either tall or short boots. That said, be mindful of choices here: a sweater dress paired with a sleek pair of riding boots is a far different look than a seasonally-confused attempt at a boots-sundress match-up.

Now here are some fabulous boot muses:

Meredith Coleman

Columbia Barnard