This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Need some new songs to listen to during this time of quarantine?! The Her Campus Columbia Barnard executive board has you covered. Here are the songs we have been listening to that help us cope with these unsettling times.

Rachel: “Take Yours” by Matthew Mole.

I am embarrassed to say that my playlist is currently made up of many songs that I first heard through TikTok. This song was playing in a TikTok that showed a travel montage, and I have had this song on repeat ever since. I find it really relaxing, and it makes me think about fun memories with friends. 

Erica: “Wildflower” by 5 Seconds of Summer

Listen, I know most of us have not thought about 5SOS since they were One Direction’s “edgy” opening act back in 2014 (they wear plaid. They play instruments), but hear me out when I say this song is a bop. It sounds like summer, and when we’re all stuck indoors for the foreseeable future, I think everyone could use a little more of that.

Collier: “Better Days” by OneRepublic

“Better Days” has been at the top of my quarantine playlist because it was written in quarantine. Ryan Tedder, along with his OneRepublic bandmates, wrote and produced “Better Days” while quarantining in their Los Angeles studio after returning from their European tour. Tedder perfectly encapsulates the pain, fear, and optimism that have been fueling quarantine: “May we never, ever, ever shed another tear for today / Because I know that there’ll be better days.” If you need even more convincing that OneRepublic is the band you need to survive social distancing, check out my recent article.

Lizzie: “Cherry” by Harry Styles

I just want to announce that my post was here before Arianna’s, so she is copying me. I put her on view-only mode so HA HA…is this considered bullying? But “Cherry” really looks at the past and struggling to move on. I’m really relating to the idea that the world is moving forward. Some part of me believes the world has remained in stasis during quarantine, but I know that’s not true. I sit around, avoid my school work, watch too much trashy television expecting that when self-isolation ends, things will immediately bounce back to the way they were…but obviously that’s not going to happen. “Cherry” might put me in ~sad girl hours~ but that’s just the way I’m rolling these days. 

Arianna: “Lights Up” by Harry Styles

I just want to announce that Lizzie is only jealous of the fact that I’m the bigger Harry stan… I’ve been listening to “Lights Up” a lot because it’s about positivity and things changing. Harry says how sweet it would be if things just “stayed the same” and it made me think back to how nice it would be if things stayed as simple as they were before the virus took over life. I really vibe with him saying to “shine, step into the light” because I think that’s what we all need to do right now. Although it’s definitely hard, we all have a light in our lives in one form or another and we need to step into it. Harry is the ray of sunshine we all need right now, so I’ve been trying to do as he says and be in the light as much as possible.

Claire: “24/7/365” by Surfaces

I love Surfaces’ music–it’s chill, lowkey, relaxing, and simultaneously upbeat. Especially in stressful times like now, it’s nice to hear songs which evoke memories of summer, friendship, and shenanigans. The band’s message is: “to spread love and positivity across the world. for those hurting, for those lost, we want every song to be a pathway that can lead anyone to brighter days.” Recently I have been loving “24/7/365,” a song about playful love and flirtation. My other favorite Surface songs are “Sunday Best,” and “Shine on Top.”. Beyond the music, I find the pastel-colored, pixelated album covers and the quirky music videos so enjoyable. Added plus: the two male singers are from my home state, Texas!  

Ariana: “In Your Eyes” by The Weeknd

This song had strong 80s vibes, which personally caught my eye because I love 80s music a lot. It’s the type of song that you need to blast so loud that you’re scared for your eardrums in order to get the full experience. The music video is kind of strange, very Halloween for a song released in the spring, but I’m not mad at it since it makes me excited for next Halloween when we will hopefully be released from our quarantine chains. 

Rachel Beinus

Columbia Barnard '21

Rachel is a current junior at Barnard College studying history, as well as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Columbia Barnard. Not only does she enjoy writing, but she also loves Myers-Briggs personality types, fashion, and chocolate.