SEAS Celebrates 150

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

The life of the engineer can be tough. Luckily the fine folks at ESC always hold Engineering Week in the Spring. The week will be filled with freebies, yummy food, networking opportunities, special talks and events hosted by the various engineering groups on campus. To find out more about the celebration, I asked Rushal Rege the VP of Student Life from the Engineering Student Council.

What is the “Launch Week Light Display” and what should students expect from the event?

The “Launch Week Light Display” was organized by the School of Engineering, with input from ESC representatives. It essentially will be a projection of a gobo onto Low Library and then using a light system to light up the pillars of Low. The event will consist of an address from Dean Boyce, free giveaways from ESC, hot chocolate on college walk, and the unveiling of the light display at the end of the event.

How does the “Make a difference” theme relate to the 150th anniversary? 

“Let’s Make a Difference” is the motto for the National Engineering Week, which changes annually. The Student Life Committee decided to cut that to “Make a Difference” for our advertising, simply because we felt it sounded better. So to answer your question, “Make a Difference” doesn’t relate to the 150th anniversary celebration, but it essentially relates to celebrating being an engineer, because we’d like to think that the responsibility of our profession to make the world a better place.

Which food items and/or freebies are you most excited about?

I don’t think it’s possible to pick one food to be most excited about. Dinosaur BBQ at Monday’s event is always a school favorite, but I think what will be most unique is the hors d’oeuvres that will be served at Closing Ceremonies. I’m most excited for the setting at the Closing Ceremonies which will be more conducive for conversing with one another and seeing some impressive projects from the ADI DevFest. As for giveaways, the Engineering Week T-shirts will be provided at every event just like in the past, but this year, we will be giving away fleece hats with the 150th anniversary logo embroidered into it. If we keep getting this much snow, they’ll definitely be put to good use.

What hints can you give students who want to participate in CU Assassins? Any clever disguises that could help?

Ironically, I’ve never participated in CU Assassins during my first three years at Columbia. After I participate this year, I’ll be happy to let you know!                                                                                                                                                         

Additional information can be found at https://www.facebook.com/events/216057011933287/

Lana is a sophomore in SEAS pursuing a major in Applied Mathematics and a minor in Music. She likes cats, chocolate, cellos, calculus, concerts, and corn dogs. 
Elena is a sophomore at Columbia University majoring in English. In her free time, she writes for Her Campus and news for Spectator. She loves New York and her friends.