This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Halloween may have just passed, but it’s still horror movie time! I used to absolutely hate horror movies. I would always watch the trailers and get too scared to watch the movie, but I would want to know how it ended. Now, I can’t get enough of horror movies because I worked my way up from the not-so-scary to the outright terrifying. If you want to watch horror movies but don’t know where to begin, I’m here to help! Through the Scare Scale, I will give you movie suggestions for each level of horror and work you up to scare level 10. If you follow these steps carefully, I can almost guarantee you’ll be able to watch practically every horror movie without having nightmares after.

SCARE SCALE: Levels 1-2

​1. “Scream”

​For your first few scary movies, I recommend older movies. Because graphics aren’t as elaborate, what used to be super scary isn’t as scary anymore. “Scream” is the perfect movie to start. Keep in mind that I’m ranking these films on scariness, not quality. “Scream,” in my opinion, is nowhere close to being an amazing movie, but it is a good starting place for your horror movie adventure. I recommend watching the first movie, and if you still feel like you need more time before advancing, go ahead and watch the sequels until you feel comfortable enough to move on. ​

2. “Happy Death Day”

​If you’re not really into older movies, “Happy Death Day” is a great beginner horror movie because it has a lot of comedic relief and a non-horrific plotline to follow along. “Scream” definitely has more horror-like characteristics, but “Happy Death Day” masters the jump scare. 

Think of these two films as training horror movies.

SCARE SCALE (LEVELS 2-5)

I believe the next step to master is the psychological effect. There are essentially two factors that make a horror movie scary. The first is jump scares and the whole “I’m going to close my eyes, tell me when it’s over” effect. The second is psychological; when a movie gets into your head and makes you panic about your life. 

1. “Sixth Sense”

“Sixth Sense” is perfect for mastering the psychological factor. It’s also an older movie, so it will ease you into this next phase of horror. Also, even if you aren’t a horror movie person, please watch this movie, especially for the classic M. Night Shyamalan twist. 

2. “Get Out”

“Get Out,” like “Sixth Sense,” is mostly psychological horror with some jump scares and a little gore. “Get Out” came out much more recently, so it is a little better in terms of graphics. Also, “Get Out” is a fantastic movie outside of the Scare Scale; even if you have no interest in horror movies, I highly recommend this one. 

3. “Us”

Along with “Get Out,” there is “Us,” which is very similar in its psychologically-haunting effects, and is definitely a must-watch. I would recommend watching “Get Out” first as “Us” has some more horror-like visuals and jump scares, which is why it’s second in this section.

4. “Split”

“Split” is another great movie to watch to master the psychological effects of horror movies. Also, I highly recommend watching “Sixth Sense” and then “Split” right after, you’ll see why when you do! “Split” is a little scarier because it’s more modern-day so whatever you do, watch “Sixth Sense” first. 

All of the movies listed here have similar energies and are on roughly the same level of scariness. If after watching two of them you feel like you can move on, you’re probably right and you are most welcome to do so. 

SCARE SCALE (LEVELS 5-8)

For the next few Scare Scale levels, I will be recommending movies and TV shows that employ both factors we have discussed before. So, it is about to get scarier. 

1. “Paranormal Activity” 

“Paranormal Activity” has many jump scares and can definitely spook you out given that it is not fantastical and fairly realistic. I am not really a fan of ghost stuff and it doesn’t scare me that much, but I know a lot of people who get spooked by this series!

2. “Anabelle”

You’ve probably all heard about the “Anabelle” series, and yes, it is creepy. None of the other movies I mentioned have creepy dolls, so if you have a problem with dolls in particular, I suggest you skip this one. 

3. “Insidious” and “The Conjuring”

The “Insidious” and “The Conjuring” series are huge in the horror movie world and you definitely have to watch both to be considered a horror movie buff. These are definitely scarier, so take your time. 

4. “Babadook”

This may be the weirdest horror movie ever, but something about it makes it super terrifying. I suggest watching all of the movies in this category with at least two other people because it definitely helps to scream together. 

SCARE SCALE (LEVELS 8-10) 

Most of the points in this section are going to be about TV shows and here’s why: Horror movies are never as scary as shows are because they end quickly. For shows, you have to keep watching new hour-long episodes in order to get to the end. Keep in mind that this section has no order; you may watch these in whatever order you like. 

1. “American Horror Story”

“American Horror Story” is an absolute trip and most definitely a commitment. If you want to start this series, I recommend watching it in order because a lot of the later seasons reference earlier ones. However, each season is essentially its own story so feel free to jump around. WARNING: THIS IS VERY SCARY. 

2. “Midsommar” and “Hereditary” 

These are the only movies in this section because they are so long and in my opinion, pretty terrifying. I know a lot of people who didn’t like either of these, and in some respects, they aren’t the best. But in terms of horror, these will definitely get you. These two have the most gore out of any of the shows and movies I have mentioned, so, if you hate bloody stuff, feel free to skip. 

3. “Two-Sentence Horror Stories”

This a short series on Netflix that I haven’t heard a lot of people talk about. In my opinion, this show is so cool. Basically, people submit two sentences and then the creator turns them into horror stories. Some of the episodes aren’t that scary, but they’re super interesting. I put this one in the last category because it is a show, which automatically makes it scarier, and it definitely has some psychological triggers, so watch out. 

4. “The Haunting of Hill House”

Last, but most certainly not least, we have “The Haunting of Hill House.” I have not watched the second season yet, but this show is so good. It has all of the psychological aspects of a horror movie and all of the jump scares, but it’s also such a moving show. WARNING: THIS IS NOT THE SHOW TO BINGE. This show will take its toll on you, so don’t go through it that fast. 

All right, that’s the Scare Scale! Hopefully, you’ve noticed you don’t have to like all aspects of a horror movie to watch one. There are definitely things that I don’t like about horror movies that I try to avoid. I tried my best to give warnings about some of the biggest triggers (i.e., gore and dolls), but if you’re skeptical about some of them, look them up and make sure you’ll be OK watching it. Have a marvelous time moving through the Scare Scale!

Aria Narang

Columbia Barnard '24

Hi! My name is Aria Narang and I absolutely love writing! I am a singer/songwriter and have written over 50 songs and also have a couple of them out on Spotify! I am very excited to write for Her Campus!