Runway Ready: NYFW Collections Every Collegiette Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

New York Fashion Week has come and gone, and it was truly beautiful. While fashion gurus and editors around the world are moving on to London, Paris, and Milan, I’m forever in love with New York – reminiscing over my favorite collections and scheming as to how to recreate the hottest looks. As a collegiette, my wardrobe must conform to three key occasions: lounging around, heading to class or my internship, and going out (to a club, bar, etc.) Even though NYFW appeals to my most glamourous fantasies – I only wish I had a place to wear ethereal Reem Acra gowns – some of my favorite shows this year fit into my three college-appropriate categories. The only problem? Wayyyy out of my price range. Luckily, I’ve compiled a list of some fashion-week shows that every collegiette can emulate and where to buy the look for less.

Comfy Chic: Norma Kamali

Norma Kamali’s Spring 2015 collection is fabulous, point-blank. Everything has a loungewear feel, but way elevated. Who says you can’t wear sweats to work?

The Look:

This look is one of my favorites in the collection because it’s unique, comfortable, and versatile – wear with slippers/Uggs/Birks and it’s perfect for hanging around Butler or movie-marathons with your roomies, but pair with heels and you’re ready to hit the streets!

For Less:

Pants: River Island, $60; Sweater: American Apparel, $52; Shoes: Dollhouse, $40

Ready for Class: Tomas Maier

For a casual, class-appropriate ensemble, look no further than Tomas Maier. His Spring collection was trendy, but easy-to-wear and effortlessly stylish.

The Look:

We may live in New York, but this look says LA all the way. Playful, breezy, and we’re definitely digging the monochrome.

For Less:

Top & Skirt: Girls on Film, $35; Shoes: New Look, $23; Bag: Topshop, $72; Panama Hat: J. Crew, $58.

Out and About: Ohne Titel

With tons of body-con and black/white, Ohne Titel’s line is perfect for hitting the NYC club scene. Sexy, luxurious, and unique enough to make you stand out? Yes please. 

The Look:

This look is one of my favorites in the collection – I would wear it in a heartbeat. The black and white makes it timeless, the play of texture makes in playful and interesting, and the blazer gives it a menswear edge. And the pop of blue in the shoes? Genius.

For Less:

Cross-front Dress: Free People, $50; Blazer: Tinley Road, $98; Skirt: River Island, $15; Heels: Missguided, $48

Sofia Lyons

Columbia Barnard

I'm a first year student at Barnard and aspiring fashion journalist, hoping to bring my fellow collegiettes some style tips & info about upcoming trends! I also love singing/songwriting, dancing, event planning, community service, eating good food, and exploring NYC.