This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Five years ago, in July 2015, Psyonix launched the game Rocket League. Originally released for Windows and Playstation, Rocket League was quickly added to the Nintendo Switch and PS4 markets as well. In Rocket League, players compete against others in vehicular 3D soccer matches. As players move up in rank, they unlock customizations for their cars. In July 2020, five years after the game’s original release, Rocket League announced that it would become free to play later that summer. Since 2015, millions of players have felt drawn in by its competitive nature as well as its community.

I was first introduced to the game earlier this past summer, when I watched it on a friend’s Twitch stream. Immediately struck by its intense and high-quality graphics, I asked another friend if he had played it. Not only had he played it, but he had achieved the game’s highest rank of Grand Champ. When the game dropped for free on September 23rd, I downloaded it, curious to see just how fun it really could be to play a game that’s essentially virtual soccer, but with cars.

My friend and I entered the game while on a Discord voice channel. While I was nowhere near his skill level, we were still able to play together, as he laughed at my mistakes. After only an hour of playing, I was hooked. The game’s overall usability to new users in addition to its availability on a range of platforms earn it an A for accessibility.

After a couple of weeks of practice, I’m still far from not-awful, but, as someone with little gaming experience, I’ve still found Rocket League immensely enjoyable. The controls are relatively simple, allowing me to play it on my keyboard without needing to invest in more expensive equipment. An actual controller would probably make it easier, but as far as versatility goes, I’d give the game a B+.

Another cool feature of the game is the large set of options to style your vehicle. With settings to turn your car into a Fortnite style truck or a flashy race car, there’s something for everyone. You can also customize your car’s color and pattern, and even add more personal touches like flags. This allows each player to develop their own unique style, earning the game an A+ for coolness.

Overall, I would give Rocket League an A. The ability to play with friends is the huge draw for me. It’s not as easy as Among Us, but Rocket League is exciting and allows for a competitive feeling. While I don’t expect to get good very quickly, I’m looking forward to more practice, maybe even trying some more video games in the future. But for now, I’m going to focus on Rocket League. If my review (as a non-gamer) hasn’t convinced you to give the game a try, try it out for yourself. After all, it’s free, so what do you have to lose?

Carina Layfield

Columbia Barnard '23

Carina is a senior at Barnard majoring in Urban Studies and minoring in Italian. In her free time she enjoys discovering new recipes and spending time outside. She can be reached at crl2149@barnard.edu or @carina.layfield on Instagram.