This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Over the years I have seen a number of sitcoms and I lived through the era where sitcoms thrived. For the most part, the sitcoms I’ve discovered have turned out to be great and worth the watch. Here are my opinions of the sitcoms I’ve seen or am currently watching! Disclaimer: this is a list of the best and worst sitcoms I’ve seen, so it’s not extremely extensive. 

Brooklyn Nine Nine

10/10

This show is the best of the best. B99 has maintained its quality throughout all of its seven seasons, which is impressive for such a long running sitcom. Each character is unique and has undergone their own character development while still staying true to themselves. The show is funny, smart, and sometimes silly, which we all need once in a while. 

One Day at a Time

9.5/10

I adore this show so much. I watched the first season (which is available on Netflix), and I think it is the perfect show. You can’t help but fall in love with every character, and by the end of it you feel like a part of the Alvarez family too. It has the perfect balance of humanity, sentimentality, and humor. This show is the definition of “heartwarming.”

Community

9/10

This was the sitcom I most recently discovered. I’m not all the way through yet, but I definitely mean it when I say that this show has reinvented sitcoms and comedy on T.V. It’s hilarious and refreshing. Like B99, each character is unique and funny in their own way. At one point they stopped developing the characters, which bothered me. The special episodes soon became the way they did every episode, which made the show less exciting in my opinion.

The Office

8.5/10

I held out on watching this one for a while, but I definitely think it’s worth the watch. I love the way they focused on making this show so real and natural, it definitely felt like they were documenting a normal office. The show really took a hit when Steve Carell left it. Season eight and nine are not faithful to their characters and the direction they took felt weird. 

Arrested Development

7.75/10

The first few seasons are extremely funny. I particularly enjoy Jessica Walter’s performance as Lucille Bluth, the mother of the family. I love how witty the jokes are and the gags are hilarious. While it started off as a great show, the last season killed the show entirely. I think one should stop watching after the third season. 

Frasier

7.5/10

Frasier ran for eleven seasons, coming in as the ninth longest running T.V. sitcom. I love the show. The characters are funny (especially Martin Crane who is played by John Mahoney), and the actors have great chemistry with each other.

Modern Family

6/10

I think this was the first sitcom I ever watched. Modern Family is the sixth longest running T.V. sitcom, and it does a very good job of representing American shows. I love how you can see the actors grow up and age together like in a real family.

I would recommend most of these sitcoms to anyone who would ask. I think you can not go wrong if you watch any of these sitcoms. Have fun watching!

Izabella Lizarazo

Columbia Barnard '24

Izabella is a freshman at Barnard College, often found listening and/or singing along to show tunes or Latin jazz. She's a fan of journaling, organizing, and writing. She is almost always available to go out and talk over a bubble tea or ice cream with friends. Although she is undecided on what her college major will be, Izabella is interested in history, politics, literature, and Spanish and Latin American cultures.