Pro Study Tips from a Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Having “finaled” my way through 96 credits of classes from 10 different disciplines, I’ve learned a thing or two (or at least I better have). While I definitely struggle with the health/work balance among a few other things that the “Nightmare Before Christmas” inevitably brings, I find that these tips actually helps with getting through our beloved Reading Week. In these trying times, it’s the little things that count–especially the reminder that we students are in this thing together. Of course, this is easier said than done when more than half of prime library real estate is occupied by mysterious invisible students who have moved their entire closet, bookshelf, as well as a suspicious number of serious-looking books (that are never relevant to their notes in their open notebooks. Yes I bother to check.) onto a study table. Personally, I avoid Butler at all costs (because it smells like rotting students to me), and prefer to study in a cozy blanket at home with endless shitty caffeine that somehow still tastes better than library coffee. Anyway, it’s tough, you get my drift; but if you put your mind to it, you can do anything, amiright?  

1. Learning Goal > Performance Goal, always.

Adopt the attitude of studying for learning, not for the A. If this material is really not interesting to you, then you should find some way to make it interesting to you–or plan to not make material your major. Remember that in today’s world, there is no such thing as useless knowledge. Also keep in mind that encoding information is much easier if you have actually thought about the material and its meaning and put effort into figuring out how everything is related instead of memorizing everything.

2. Can’t Focus? Try these two strategies:

1) Start with your easiest task first to associate positivity with working. You’ll feel like a champ for crossing anything off your to-do list these days.

2) Move your study space. I don’t know why this works, but it does.

3. Specialize and Trade

I once had a Barnard professor who told me that the secret to doing well was forming study groups, as it was “economical” to specialize in certain classes or certain portions of your classes and trade and negotiate information, study strategies, and tutor other students.  As a clueless underclassman, I was wary of this statement when he said it, but it actually makes pretty good sense, and it got me thinking on the right track. I don’t have to struggle by myself! He was being right about this secret. When I implemented this professor’s advice, not only did my grades improve, but my overall feeling of wellness did too. Why, you may ask?

4. Not Majoring in Social Studies? Actually, yes you are.

Humans are social creatures—and Barnard students are human, believe it or not. We are extremely attentive to other human beings. We derive immense support and information from other human beings through social interactions. Encoding information is easier when you’ve had a meaningful conversation about it, because in doing so you have processed the information enough to generate a meaningful response. By conversing about a topic, it is less stressful and more engaging than just reading the book, and you have someone to confirm or disconfirm that you can adequately convey this material. Doesn’t this sound so painless? That’s what we aim for. A spoken mistake doesn’t show up in your GPA, so don’t be afraid to acknowledge that you got things wrong while you study—after all, isn’t that the only way you know where to troubleshoot and get things right?

Of course there’s always logistical issues (I said painless, not easy). Afraid your schedule doesn’t match up, or you won’t be able to contribute? Don’t be afraid to approach your peers and ask who else is in your class or if any of your friends know friends in your class. Remember, nobody knows everything and teaching concepts to each other helps strengthen everybody’s understanding and confidence in the material.  If you get turned away by anyone in a vicious or uncomfortable way—do not be discouraged; it just means that that stressed out someone probably hasn’t read the article in question.

Additionally, “social” studying will make you friends that you can rely on and trust, and furthermore, boost the intellectual reservoirs in your network. Especially if you are an upperclassman who has a good idea about where you want to end up career-wise, making friends in classes relevant to your chosen interest is where “networking” really counts. Win-win all-around, am I right, guys?

So find your friends, get your favorite snacks, and note that the feeling of calamitous health, fatigue, butt numbness, and despair is only temporary. You’ll be veging in front of Sex and the City episodes in no time.

Claire T. Wu

Columbia Barnard

Claire T. Wu is a Barnard senior who is pursuing studies in Applied Statistics and Psychology.
Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!