Pre-Law President: Carmen Romero

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Carmen, this week’s celeb, is in charge of Barnard’s very own Athena Pre-Law Society. She tells us what the club’s about and how to get involved, as well as some of the other amazing things she does on campus.

1. What is the Athena Pre-Law Society?
The Athena Pre-Law Society (APLS) promotes greater interest in a legal education and law-related career at Barnard. The specific purpose of this organization is to educate legal-minded Barnard students about the requirements, details, and procedures to enter law schools, and to provide opportunities for exposure to various areas and aspects of the legal profession.

2. What is your position and what does it entail?
I am President of the APLS Executive Board. In this position I play a critical role in the organization of innovative programming/event and aspire to be a facilitator of communication amongst our members. But really, it is our executive board as a whole, that shines.

3. What is your favorite part about the club?
We are fortunate to be endowed with incredible resources through Barnard. Through offices such as Barnard Alumnae Affairs and Career Development we are able to bring in Barnard alumnae to discuss their careers in law. We are also lucky to have Dean Kuan Tsu, Barnard’s pre-law advisor, as a wonderful resource. But what I love most about APLS is working with such ambitious strong, beautiful Barnard women aspiring to do great things. We exhibit wonderful leadership and are all driven by great enthusiasm. As a unit, I’d say we are not only the backbone of APLS but also leaders within the Barnard/Columbia community.

4. How can someone get involved?
Getting involved in APLS is easy and, given the presence of pre-law societies at most colleges, eager students who have an interest in law know to seek us out upon arrival (we hope). We encourage you to visit our blog at http://prelawatbarnard.wordpress.com and like our page on Facebook by typing “Athena Pre Law Society.” Most importantly, be sure to reach out to us via email at athenaprelawsociety@gmail.com to be added to our listserv and advised about upcoming programming!

5. What else are you involved in on campus?
I am also on the executive board of the Hispanic Scholarship Fund Scholar Chapter at Columbia, a pre-professional group on campus that promotes academic success and student engagement among Latino students. We were recently humbled to receive the Kings Crown Award for Best Program for our Columbia College Orientation for Spanish Speaking Families in October 2010, and we are excited for a second orientation to take place this coming weekend. I am also a member of the Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program (CSTEP) at Barnard. In my spare time, when I’m not involved in pre-professional groups on campus, I participate in meditation and vegetarian cooking classes through the Bhakti Club at Columbia.

6. Which is your favorite neighborhood in NYC and why?
Jackson Heights, Queens! It is among the most diverse neighborhoods in New York City. Best South Asian and Latino food in the city…it’s as good as it gets for a vegetarian Latina (not two words that are usually in the same sentence)!

7. Would you be peanut butter or jelly?
No question about it: Peanut Butter. Snack tip recommended by a great friend: granny smith apple with peanut butter (just try it!). As a vegetarian, I need all the extra protein I can get!

8. What’s your power outfit?
As Barney from How I Met Your Mother always says, “Suit up!” That flawless, sleek business suit provides the confidence needed for success. And for the female… some black pumps don’t hurt the ensemble!

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!