person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

Photog Princess: Phoebe Jones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Name: Phoebe Jones

Year: 2018

School: Barnard College

Hometown: Northampton, Massachusetts

Instagram:@phoeberjones

Favorite holiday movie?

My life-long best friend and I have a tradition of watching a shark movie every year on Christmas Eve, so I’d say either Jaws or Open Water. Also, A Charlie Brown Christmas.

You’re the photo director and photographer for Hoot Magazine, what’s that like? 

My job is to help bring various concepts to life—from scouting locations to choosing models and contributors. It’s way harder than I thought it would be, but seeing it all come together was one of the most rewarding things I’ve done at Barnard. I have tons to learn and am excited to continue doing that through my role in Hoot.

How long have you been practicing photography?

I started taking photos when my dad gave me his old 35mm camera that he used in high school. I was in seventh or eighth grade and haven’t stopped since.

Favorite thing to photograph?

My friends when they’re not looking. 

Hmm…the most fun I’ve ever had photographing was the Chinese New Year parade in Chinatown last February. I got off the subway and immediately was pushing my way through throngs of people, music, food, costumes, and little kids on shoulders. It all moved fast and, before I knew it, the streets were completely deserted, leaving behind this carpet of confetti covering every inch of pavement. It was so beautiful!

What are you looking forward to in 2016?

Getting fresh new pens and pencils, taking a class with Thomas Roma, and going to the AMC on 84th more often because the seats are more comfortable than my bed.

Have to ask, any New Years resolutions?

2015 was hard. I want to leave it behind, while taking the good parts with me. It’s a rare opportunity to be able to get an education like this one in a city like New York and that’s something I don’t want to ever take for granted. Also, I should probably stop hoarding chocolate bars in my room.

What’s the first thing you’re going to do when you finish finals? 

Eat a heavy amount of pasta from Pisticci! 

Lily Morris

Columbia Barnard