The Perfect Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

So apparently, single people are supposed to hate Valentine’s Day because it’s some sort of “annual reminder” that “time is running out” and we’re “forever doomed to be alone.” Now, don’t get me wrong—being in a relationship can be sort of cool, if you’re into that kind of thing. In a perfect world, we’d all find the Lucious Lyon to our Cookie (and find the perfect Cookie-Lyon approved wardrobe of fur coats for the impending #arcticblast). But, until we ascend to that prelapsarian state, you can find me blasting “bottomless mimosas” with my best friends on February 14th, aka: Galentine’s Day. 

The Brunch

Galentine’s Day is the most sacred brunch of the year. I don’t care if you already signed a lease for next year and got matching pizzas at Koronet’s — if your best friend isn’t available for Galentine’s Day brunch, she’s dead to you. This brunch is about more than just cocktails. It’s about feminism. It’s about sisterhood. It’s about the sixteen dollar Lido bottomless mimosa brunch special. So, take this opportunity to talk about what intersectional feminism means for millennials while toasting to lo-fi garage girl bands, Laverne Cox, Beyonce’s “Formation,” and How To Get Away With Murder’s winter premiere. Before you leave, remember to ask a male waiter/diner to take your Galentine’s Day Instagram. Do not apologize/feel guilty for asking for multiple different angles, flash settings, or even a break to touch up your makeup—this is a fun game I like to call “pretend you have male privilege.” It’s a Galentine’s Day classic.

Down time

I’ve done a lot of crazy things with my friends, from showing up at Up & Down at 9:30 PM to wait for a 3:00 AM Usher performance to breaking a coffee table because we had to get elevated (pro tip: if you don’t want girls to break your furniture, don’t play “Ocean Avenue” by Yellowcard). But we always end up having the best time when we’re literally doing nothing. Whether we’ve been sitting in But Caf for four hours or sharing ten Diana pizzas (glorified crackers), boredom is truly the method to our madness. Down time can lend itself to the best sort of adventures/discoveries. Worried that dying your hair will make you unemployable? Don’t worry, a liberal arts degree is already useless. Want to watch the coffee cart scene from The OC over and over again and write Jason Schwartzman some really heartfelt fan mail? A good friend won’t stop you. Haven’t had the chance to REALLY get acquainted with the Go Columbia Lions website? Carpe the freaking Diem. The other day, my friend and I started a blog to tell our personal stories and gossip about everyone we know using their first and last names. It was so much fun! Please don’t try and find it. Galentine’s Day!

Crazy ex interlude

96 years ago, women got the right to vote. This Galentine’s Day, celebrate suffrage by “voting” to ruin your ex’s life. JK! But they sort of deserve it. Whether they never actually finished that rap EP they were always threatening to record or always forgot your birthday, I’m sure your ex has done something unforgivable. Today’s the perfect day to take out all your anger by bitching about it with your friends. On any other day, its usually a good idea to bottle up the crazy and pretend to be interested in whatever’s going on in your friends’ lives. But not today, girl! Rant. Rage. Facebook stalk. Call her new girlfriend and leave a prank voicemail. Write a strongly worded letter to his mom. Pull the fire alarm at his frat house. Who cares! It’s February 14th. You do you.

Movie night

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Mean Girls. Bend It Like Beckham. Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion. Legally Blonde. Thelma And Louise. Bachelorette. The Craft. Steel Magnolias. 10 Things I Hate About You.

You’re welcome.

**Disclaimer: This is a personal piece and does not necessarily reflect the views of Her Campus Media.