NYC December Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Sugar, spice, and everything not so nice (like finals) are right around the corner. December in New York City is one of the best times of the year, so here are the top things on our bucket list to make the most of this month:

1. Holiday Markets! These festive markets are free to enter and offer perfect gifts for stocking stuffers, as well as delicious food, and a pretty backdrop. Here are the top holiday markets to visit:

• Bryant Park Winter Village: November 25, 2016 – January 2, 2017, Monday – Friday: 11am-8pm, Saturday & Sunday: 10am-8pm)  

• Union Square Holiday Market : (Nov 17th – Dec 24th, 11am – 8pm Mon – Fri, 10am – 8pm Sat, 11am – 7pm Sun)

• Columbus Circle Holiday Market November 29 – December 24, 10am – 8pm Monday – Saturday, 10am – 7pm Sunday)

2. Pretty tree lighting ceremonies

• The Rockefeller Center: Wednesday, November 30- okay yes, technically the lighting ceremony is technically in November, but you don’t need to attend it in order to enjoy the pretty lights all through December.

• Columbia lighting service tonight – College walk becomes a Winter Wonderland!

3. Store Displays. Walk along 5th avenue and you’ll find more than just pushy tourists eager to snap hundreds of photos. These festive store displays are specially curated and designed each year with different themes. Additionally, many of the displays are later auctioned off, with the proceeds going to charity. Here are the top windows to check out:

• Saks Fifth Avenue

• Macy’s

• Barneys

• Bloomingdale’s

• Lord & Taylor

• Tiffany & Co.

• Bergdorf Goodman

• Henri Bendel

4. Shows. Here are the most famous holiday shows you have to see if you consider yourself a New Yorker:

• The Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular-  watch the Rockettes kick high in this classic show that’s perfect for the whole family.

• The Nutcracker – Although slightly pricier, this ballet features songs by Tchaikovsky and  beautifully dressed characters like the Sugar Plum fairy, Nutcracker Prince, and dancing dolls.