New York Fashion Week Highlights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.
This year’s New York Fashion Week Spring/Summer shows were as memorable as ever. This season, New York Fashion Week abandoned Lincoln Center and, while many designers relocated to the new official venues (Skylight at Moynihan Station and Skylight Clarkson Square), others found more creative venues. Notably, many shows made reference to issues much larger than fashion, making it clear that this industry cares about more than just clothing. Here are some of the highlights of the best week of the fall in New York.

Carolina Herrera

Arguably one of the best shows of the week was Carolina Herrera’s, which was presented at the Frick Collection on the Upper East Side. Not only did she step it up in terms of her beyond amazing choice of venue, but she also added an edgy new flair to her traditionally classic, feminine styles. As always, her collection spoke to the girly girl (half the collection was pink), but, by incorporating neoprene and fun cutouts, Herrera presented a new spring collection that also appeals to a more modern customer.

Givenchy

The stunning Givenchy show was presented on Pier 26, overlooking Ground Zero with the sunset over the Hudson and the Freedom Tower as its backdrop. This black and white collection of luxurious ready-to-wear and couture pieces alone certainly would have made the house’s debut show in New York a hit. However, what made this show truly memorable and special for New Yorkers was its homage to the many lives lost in the September 11 attacks, which occurred exactly 14 years prior to the show.

Prabal Gurung

Similarly, Prabal Gurung paid tribute to his homeland of Nepal and the tragic earthquake there this past spring with his Spring 2016 collection. A group of monks recited a traditional prayer as the fashion gliteratti waited for the show to begin. Gurung’s fiery color scheme of rose, rusty orange, and yellow, as well as through his incorporation of fabric created by a Nepali artist, subtly referenced Nepal.

Diane von Furstenberg

DVF’s iconic wrap dresses never disappoint, but, much like Carolina Herrera did, DVF made a conscious effort this season to appeal to younger fashionistas. Her celeb studded cast of models included It girls Gigi and Bella Hadid, Karlie Kloss, and Kendall Jenner (maybe this fashion icon will be the next member of Taylor Swift’s #squad!). Despite the celeb status of the show both on and off the runway, DVF’s colorful 1970s-inspired collection stole the show. From bright prints to cool metallics, DVF did everything right.

Kate Spade

Everything about Kate Spade’s Spring 2016 presentation was perfection. This season, the beloved designer went above and beyond, combining her famously whimsical accessories and always-adorable clothing presented in a room filled with tens of thousands of bright flowers. Since these pieces are priced more accessibly than many of the others featured on NYFW runways, you’re sure to covet Kate Spade’s collection in the coming winter months while we dream of the spring flowers to come.

Tory Burch

Unlike other designers, Tory Burch did not abandon Lincoln Center, as she presented her collection in Avery Fisher Hall. Her collection paid homage to her roots through featuring her favorite color, orange, and many designs inspired by one of her early pieces, the caftan. From cute outfits fit for a fashionable beach vacation to clothing appropriate for a trendy New York office, the ever popular designer remained true to herself and her customer by creating a collection that addresses all aspects of a woman’s life.