Nate Maddrey of FratMusic.Com Shares All: From Startups to Artists on the Brink of Making it Big

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

The idea behind FratMusic.com, like so many other successful startups came after a long night of drinking with friends. And once the group of Frat guys from the University of Virginia (UVA) came up with the idea, they knew they just had to do it. It was as simple as that.

That seed of this fun venture is now the popular website we American college students know, love, pregame and party with today.

I spoke with Nate Maddrey, the site’s co-owner, at length about FratMusic.com and his take on the world of start-ups and entrepreneurship. Whether you are in need of some music guidance or are thinking about doing your own startup, Nate has a lot to say!

Q. What was it about your own college experience that led you to Fratmusic.com?

A. There was always good music playing at UVA whether it was at frat parties, tailgates, pregames, or just outside on a nice day. We wanted to spread that music and find out what other people were playing at other schools.

Q. What do you think makes Fratmusic.com so compelling and ideal in the music community?

A. The drunker you get the better our site is. People in the music community love to drink

Q. What advice would you give college students looking to get into the startup community?

A. Focus on creating the best possible product you can and if you create something great people will take notice. Do something you’re passion about and reach out to people who are passionate about the same thing. Always be prepared to fail and keep going.

Q. Do you think it is smart to get into business with friends? What are the pros and cons?

A. Not if you want to remain friends.

Q. How do you keep up with the music industry? Do you get songs and mixes from other blogs?

A. Music is everything to us so we’re always talking about it and living it. We follow a ton of artists and record labels as well as blogs and publications.

Q. What are your thoughts about house music? Is it a music fad or does it have staying power?

A. House music is becoming incorporated more and more into pop music so it will be around for a while. But what’s hot in music changes quickly so it won’t be on top forever.

Q. Who is one artist we should all be keeping an eye out for? (something you think is on the verge of being huge)

A. Madeon has steadily been blowing up since he released “Pop Culture” but he is still just getting started. Expect big things from him in the years to come.

Check out FratMusic.com for the hottest playlists to party to this year!

Toby Milstein

Columbia Barnard

Hi my name is Toby Milstein and I'm a student at Barnard College at Columbia University!