My 5 Favorite Celebrity Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

I didn’t really know what to expect with celebrity costumes because they are all usually hit or miss, and I think that a lot of them were terrific, but these five really stood out…

The Weeknd as Don Vito Corleone from “The Godfather”

First of all, when I was looking through celebrity costumes and saw this one, I did not at all realize that it was The Weeknd. I don’t really know how this was done, but it looks impressive. One of the things I saw this year was that more and more celebrities put special effects (SFX) makeup on, and The Weeknd went crazy with the SFX makeup, so much so that you couldn’t even tell it was him. If you didn’t already know that he was going as Don Vitto. 

Lil Nas X as Voldemort

As a Potterhead (aka a Harry Potter fan), I loved this! I know that Lil Nas X did a couple of costumes, but this is my favorite, especially because it looks quite similar to the Voldemort seen in the movies. Also, I liked that he did a little photoshoot with the costume so that it looks like how Voldemort looked in movie posters.

Ariana Grande as “Miss Creature From the Black Lagoon”

Out of all of the movie posters/photoshoots that celebrities did, my favorite was Ariana Grande’s. Her costume and her SFX were incredible, and the photoshoot added so much to the costume. Also, I really liked that she made it her “own,” as she was the creature and her husband portrayed the “damsel in distress.”

Lizzo’s Baby Yoda

Lizzo was all over TikTok because of her Baby Yoda costume. She made a TikTok about her makeup, nails, and costume — which were quite entertaining. My favorite moment was when she was talking to a group of people, and they didn’t recognize her, but they kept saying she looked like Lizzo; and when she told them she was Lizzo, they didn’t believe her.

Janelle Monáe as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Similar to The Weeknd, Janelle Monáe went hardcore on SFX makeup, and it looked amazing. Out of all of the costumes I saw this year, hers was definitely my favorite. She was Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and the SFX makeup + photoshoot put together made it seem like she was actually in a movie — it was unreal. I also liked her grinch costume, but out of the two, my favorite was definitely Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

There were so many cool costumes this year, and if you like looking through them or celebrity fashion, I would take a look at some of their outfits from this Halloween!

Mahati Shastry

Columbia Barnard '24

Mahati is a junior at Barnard who is excited to experience the wonder that is NYC. She loves reading, writing, and spending time outdoors.