Movies for You and Your Friends to Netflix Party!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen a movie in the theater, but Netflix Party has been a lifesaver for me this quarantine. Here are some of the films I watched with my friends using Netflix Party that I highly recommend!

The Shining (1980)

One thing you need to know about me is that I am a HUGE horror movie fan. And while I love watching them alone, I think horror movies are always better with friends — especially ones who absolutely hate horror movies. What should be scary becomes funny, and it’s always fun to mess with your friends on purpose afterward (or maybe I’m just mean). Personally, I didn’t find The Shining scary, but it’s a classic that I think everyone should try watching it at some point! A lot of films today reference it, and it was really cool to see some of those famous shots.

The Nice Guys (2016)

This film is arguably one of the funniest movies I’ve ever watched and definitely one of the most underrated. You just can’t go wrong with Ryan Gosling. It’s the perfect mix of crime and comedy with amazing acting and a really wild plot. My friend and I literally lost it in the Netflix Party chat section, as the majority of the messages were just my keyboard smashes.

The Babysitter (2017) and The Babysitter: Killer Queen (2020)

These movies are just Home Alone turned murder-y, but I absolutely loved them. The sequel Killer Queen came out this month and it was actually so much better than I expected, since sequels tend to disappoint. Starring Judah Lewis, Bella Thorne, Robbie Amell, Jenna Ortega, and King Bach, these movies were crazy to watch from beginning to end. They’re perfect if you’re looking for a light laugh. The first one is better when you know nothing about it going in — don’t even watch the trailer.

The Devil All the Time (2020)

This movie starring Tom Holland and Robert Pattinson came out this past September. I’m not going to lie; it was really weird, but I enjoyed it a lot. It’s a little slow at first, but things really start to tie together at the end. Tom Holland did an especially outstanding job portraying his character. It was so strange to see our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man playing such a serious character, but he absolutely killed it.

Twilight (2008)

Okay, so hear me out! Twilight is not a bad movie. It’s actually hilarious. Tell me the baseball scene isn’t a cinematic masterpiece. Tell me Edward Cullen sparkling under the sun isn’t iconic. After watching The Devil All the Time, in which Robert Pattinson played a beyond-creepy priest, my friends and I decided to Netflix Party and watch the Twilight series the next week.

Netflix Party is such a great way to connect with your friends and family during a time like this. I hope I gave some good recommendations! And if you’ve seen them already, what’s the harm in re-watching?

Angela Tan

Columbia Barnard '24

Angela is a Chinese-American freshman at Barnard, where she wants to major in psychology and minor in education. She loves baking although she's not very good at it and enjoys talking about horror movies, Taylor Swift, and her dog Oreo.