Morningside’s Best Kept Secrets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Some of Morningside’s most undercover spots and dives, from a senior who has yet to try a Mel’s burger.

Mill Korean

What Mill Korean lacks in great Korean food, they make up for in decent Korean food. As the only kimchi supplier within a three block radius of campus, Mill Korean sustains a small but loyal following of avid lunch special-ers. Come for the bibimbap, stay for the unlimited tea (but actually, don’t linger–the Mill Korean staff does not take loitering lightly).

Lion’s Head Tavern

Lion’s Head is a great alternative for anyone who loves drinking cheap wine at a dive bar, but can’t order a pinot at 1020 because it’s ~social suicide~. Also, two dollar beers!

Doaba Deli

This all cash establishment offers the best Indian food in Morningside.

Chuck E. Cheese’s

Many childhood experiences don’t really translate into adulthood. Going to Chuck E. Cheese’s is not one of those experiences. CU is #blessed by its proximity to the Harlem branch of this fine gaming establishment. Prizes and pizza are included onsite, BYO sense of childlike wonder and/or refreshments. 

Amiable Child Monument, Riverside Park

There aren’t many romantic Morningside spots: college walk after the trees are lit up, the upper views from EC at golden hour, The Heights roof after a margarita or two. In light of this paltry competition, the stately monuments of Riverside easily take the cake. Sundown at the tomb of the amiable child makes for an epic first kiss. It might be a little macabre, but you can’t spell memorable date without “memento mori.”

Shaved Ice at Tea Magic

A perfect, refreshing summer time treat (or year round, if you live in one of the sauna-like old radiator dorms that over-heats in the winter). Fill up that Tea Magic punch card like a Morningside pro. 

Roti Roll/Suite

Whether you’re bringing your Roti Roll into Suite, or ending a night out at Morningside’s best (only) gay bar at Morningside’s best (only) Indian frankies joint, these two fine connected establishments are hard to beat. Suite pro-tips include checking out karaoke night, and bringing a handful of singles to tip the performers. And at Roti, make sure to try the mango lassi with your chicken malai.

Brunch at Crepes on Columbus, Cafe Amrita, Friedman’s or Flat Top

Community ennui kicking in? Try out the brunch selections at any of these unsung Morningside heroes. Special shout outs for Freidman’s chicken and waffles and Cafe Amrita’s A+ coffee shop ambiance. 

Instagram-worthy views from the upper floors of Kent & Dodge

For if you’re trying to get on the Ivy League snap story, or just promised your mom a pretty foliage pic.