Month of Movies: Must-Sees For Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Winter Break is almost here! Yes, yes, I know we still haven’t officially gotten to finals week yet, but it’s never too soon to make plans for your month at home. In between sleeping and Netflix binging, you should take some time to go to the theaters — there are great films being released around the time we all make our way home.

Frozen

In theaters now

You’re never too old to watch an animated movie. Frozen, loosely based on the Hans Christian Andersen’s tale “The Snow Queen”, is a critically and viewer acclaimed animated musical that follows Anna on her journey to find her sister, Elsa, who has used her powers to keep the kingdom in an perpetual frozen state, and save the kingdom. With voices like Idina Menzel and Jonathan Groff, the musical talent in the film is not lacking at all. Go see it during a study break!

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

In theaters December 18

We’ve been waiting for NINE YEARS for Ron Burgandy to grace our movie screens once again and that moment is finally here. Our favorite action news team is back at it, but this time things are a little different. After their initial success, the group decides to go their separate ways, but a series of failures brings them back together again to work for a 24-hour news channel. Don’t act like you’re not impressed.

American Hustle

In theaters December 20

Christian Bale. Bradley Cooper. Amy Adams. Jeremy Renner. Jennifer Lawrence. Are those names enough to bring you to the movie theater? The star-studded cast comes together to tell the story of a con man, Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale), and his partner, Sydney Prosser (Amy Adams), who are pushed into a powerful and corrupt world by FBI agent, Richie DiMaso (Bradley Cooper). Add in Carmine Polito (Jeremy Renner) and Rosalyn (Jennifer Lawrence), to the story and everyone’s world may fall apart.

Saving Mr. Banks

In theaters December 20

Saving Mr. Banks is a story about the true of story of P.L. Travers, the author of Mary Poppins, and how Walt Disney spent two weeks courting her in order to get the screen rights to her book. The film, starring Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks, gives viewers an interesting and heartwarming look into how one of our favorite films made it on screen.

The Wolf of Wall Street

In theaters December 25

Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese create cinematic magic whenever they work together, so why should this movie be any different? DiCaprio’s character, Jordan Belfort, a New York stockbroker, who decides not to cooperate in a fraud case that involves Wall Street and the world of corporate finance (shocker?). 

(Image from businessinsider.com)

Ama Kwarteng

Columbia Barnard