Meet the Team: Writer Hannah Zwick!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

School & class:  Barnard College, Class of 2021

Major:  I’m a freshman so I’m undecided right now, but I’m planning on an English major!

Hometown:  Long Island, New York                                   

1. Tell me a little about yourself. Are you involved with anything on or off campus? 

Apart from Her Campus, I’ve written pieces for other campus publications like Bwog, and I’m a staff writer for some online music magazines.     

2. What do you think Her Campus Media stands for?

Personally, Her Campus has given me a lot of creative freedom as a writer.  More generally, I think Her Campus does a great job covering a range of topics, from skincare to politics to campus life, and gives a voice to female writers and students alike.  

3. What’s your patronus?

Pottermore says it’s a badger, but speaking as a Ravenclaw, I think that’s nonsense.  There are some people who took the test and got a tuna, though, so I should just be happy with what I have. 

4. Why did you choose Barnard/Columbia? 

I only wanted to go to an NYC school, but I still wanted the feeling of a small campus.  When I discovered Barnard, it was an instant click. I loved everything – the campus, the community, the ideals.  It was the perfect fit and I applied ED. Thankfully, I got in, because I didn’t start any other applications!

5. What inspires you to write? 

Good music!  Even if I’m not writing about music, I’m listening to it.  

6. What are you passionate about? 

The aforementioned good music. Also writing, Harry Styles, the demise of the Trump administration, etc. 

7. As a member of the class of 2021 what positive changes do you want to see in the college/university?

I’m happy Barnard finally joined The Workers Rights Consortium, but there’s still questionable behind-the-scenes stuff that needs to be addressed. Also, I would really like Hewitt to get it together – the news has been somewhat unsurprising, but still highly distressing. 

8. Who is your role model? 

Tavi Gevinson was the first journalist that I looked up to; I got to meet her recently and talk about writing and it was really cool. Outside of writing, my parents are my biggest role models.  They’re the best, and they inspire every day. 

9. If you could make one change in the world, what would it be and why?

This is a very Miss America question.  I think we all need more compassion in our lives.     

Hannah Zwick

Columbia Barnard '21

Hannah Zwick is a student at Barnard College. Every day she spends at Columbia University in the City of New York she strays further from God and closer to Vampire Weekend. https://hannahzwick.contently.com/