Meet the Team: Writer Erica Kam!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

School & class: Barnard College, Class of 2021

Major: Undecided, but probably English with a concentration in creative writing

Hometown: Irvine, CA                                     

1. Tell me a little about yourself. Are you involved with anything on or off campus?

In addition to writing for Her Campus Barnard, I am a copy editor at Columbia Daily Spectator and a dancer in Orchesis: A Dance Group.

2. What do you think Her Campus Media stands for?

I think Her Campus Media stands for the community and kinship formed by college women all across the country, who are dealing with varied experiences and have varied passions, but are ultimately united by their support of the empowerment of college women. Her Campus Media provides us with a space to have our voices heard, when we otherwise might be written off because of age, gender, or other factors.

3. What would your patronus be?

If I had to compare myself to an animal, I’d probably be a cat.

4. Why did you choose Barnard/Columbia? 

I really wanted to live in New York City because there is so much to explore! I also think that being surrounded by a strong group of women is a great way to motivate and inspire myself to be the best version of myself.

5. What inspires you to write? 

I’m inspired by the stories I hear from people around me, especially my friends and family. I’m definitely more of a listener, so hearing what other people have to say helps me consider my own opinions and find the best way to show them.

6. What are you passionate about? 

I am passionate about ensuring gender equality in all aspects of life.

7. As a first-year what positive changes do you want to see in the college/university? 

As a first-year, I hope that in the future there will be more active effort to promote self-care and mental wellness, because stress culture is still a huge problem on campus. I also hope that CUCR stops inviting white supremacist speakers onto campus; the administration did not handle these situations well and it left me and other students extremely disappointed.

8. Who is your role model? 

Definitely my mother. She is hardworking, intelligent, and dedicated to the things and people that she cares about.

9. If you could make one change in the world, what would it be and why?

This is such a hard question! There are so many things I want to change. I guess I would start with making sure that everyone had access to free, good education, since that could help with so many other problems that the world faces.

10. What are you most looking forward to during winter break?

I am looking forward to thinking about something other than homework. And also to seeing my friends and family again, because I miss them a lot.

Erica Kam is the Life Editor at Her Campus. She oversees the life, career, and news verticals on the site, including academics, experience, high school, money, work, and Her20s coverage. Over her six years at Her Campus, Erica has served in various editorial roles on the national team, including as the previous Culture Editor and as an editorial intern. She has also interned at Bustle Digital Group, where she covered entertainment news for Bustle and Elite Daily. She graduated in 2021 with a bachelor’s degree in English and creative writing from Barnard College, where she was the senior editor of Columbia and Barnard’s Her Campus chapter and a deputy copy editor for The Columbia Spectator. When she's not writing or editing, you can find her dissecting K-pop music videos for easter eggs and rereading Jane Austen novels. She also loves exploring her home, the best city in the world — and if you think that's not NYC, she's willing to fight you on it.
Sydney Hotz

Columbia Barnard

Sydney is in love with New York City, dogspotting, and chorizo tacos. She's an aspiring novelist, a Barnard feminist, and might deny she was born in New Jersey.