Meet the Team: Writer Allie Humphrey!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

School & class: Barnard, 2021

Major: Undeclared; anticipating History and English

Hometown: Charlottesville, VA                                 

1. Tell me a little about yourself. Are you involved with anything on or off campus?

In addition to Her Campus, I’m involved in the creative writing and performing arts scene on campus! I’ve done lighting for King’s Crown Shakespeare Troupe, perform with Opera Untapped, and have submitted my poetry to literary magazines. I also want to get involved with WBAR, our campus radio station, next semester!

2. What do you think Her Campus Media stands for?

I think Her Campus gives a voice to the reality of being a student in college that a lot of contemporary publications don’t. As young women, a lot of my concerns are seen as “frivolous” by many mainstream writers, and I love having a platform to write about things that matter to me.

3. What’s your patronus?

Pottermore claims my patronus is a sheep, but I’ve always vibed more with a tiger. Or maybe a manatee – floating, sleeping, and eating seems like a pretty good life.

4. Why did you choose Barnard?

I chose Barnard because the idea of living in the “greatest city in the world” at a women’s college sounded like a dream. I’m beyond thrilled to be living here, and to wake up every day surrounded by some of the most brilliant students out there.

5. What inspires you to write?

I write about things that make me feel – things that make me angry, things that make me happy, and things that make me think. I’m a very emotional person, so I’m never out of things to write about!

6. What are you passionate about?

Oh, almost everything. I find it really hard to be chill about anything. But more specifically, I really love Shakespeare, period dramas, traveling, writing poetry, true crime podcasts, Verdi, early Hollywood movies (think 1930’s film noir), learning new languages, and theater in general.

7. As a first-year, what positive changes do you want to see in the college/university? 

I think Barnard should make more significant efforts to respond to criticisms from people of color, LGBT+ students, non-binary students, disabled students, FGLI students, and religious/cultural/ethnic minorities. We’re a predominantly white and upper/middle class institution, and a lot of students here don’t seem to realize how problematic that can be. I’d love to see more support for students who face unique challenges.

8. Who is your role model?

My mom – really, all the women in my family, including my aunts and my Nana. I know, I know, beyond cheesy, but I’m completely in awe of their strength, their kindness, and their love.

9. If you could make one change in the world, what would it be and why?

I’d reverse global warming. Honestly, the fact that so many government officials flat-out lie about rising sea levels is infuriating and terrifying. Global warming is happening, and we need to make drastic changes before it’s too late.

10. What are you most looking forward to during winter break?

Besides not having a paper due every other day, you mean? I guess I’m just really excited to see my family again. And my dog. I miss my dog a lot too.

Allie Humphrey is a first-year student at Barnard College majoring in history. She's fond of red lipstick, Byronic heroes, and period drama soundtracks. Find her on Instagram at @alisbeths
Sydney Hotz

Columbia Barnard

Sydney is in love with New York City, dogspotting, and chorizo tacos. She's an aspiring novelist, a Barnard feminist, and might deny she was born in New Jersey.