Meet the Team: Editor Beth Abbott

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

School & Class: Barnard College Class of December 2019

Hometown: New York, NY

1.  Tell me a little about yourself. Are you involved with anything on or off campus?

Outside of writing and editing for Her Campus, I am a member of Gamma Phi Beta, Iota Chapter, and I just finished my one-year term as the chapter’s Scholarship Chairwoman.

2.  What do you think Her Campus Media stands for?

Her Campus gives female college students a visible platform that they can use to voice their opinions about the topics they are most passionate about, whether it is college life, politics, music, or fashion.  Especially in today’s society, it is important to empower women in every possible way, and I love that Her Campus is dedicated to doing that.

3.  Why did you choose Columbia or Barnard?

Barnard had everything I was looking for in a school.  It is a place for strong young women to receive a top-notch education.  I like that Barnard is small enough to encourage students to interact with their professors, but not too small so as to stop meeting new people after the first year.  Most importantly, it is in a city and has a proper campus, which is incredibly unique and gives students the best of both worlds.

4.  What inspires you to write?

Ever since I was young, I have loved writing.  Whether in an article or my journal, writing is an outlet through which I express my thoughts and emotions, and there is immense power in the written word that is not present in ordinary speech.  When I write fiction, my main goal is to build a world that readers can escape into, just as my favorite authors have done for me.

5.  What are you passionate about?

I am passionate about history, gender equality, The Shadowhunter Chronicles by Cassandra Clare, hockey, and my cats.

6.  What positive changes do you want to see in the college/university?

Better resources for and recognition of students with learning disabilities.  Barnard has taken steps in the right direction during my time here, especially in becoming more flexible with its language requirement when switching to the Foundations curriculum (two semesters compared to four in the old curriculum), but there is a lot more work to be done.

7.  Who is your role model?

My mom because she is an incredibly strong and resilient woman, and she has taught me that there are many ways to make a difference in the world.

8.  If you could make you one change in the world, what would it be and why?

I wish that everyone had free access to education because it gives people the tools to pursue their dreams and discover themselves in the process.

9.  What are you most looking forward to during winter break?

I am looking forward to relaxing, getting away from the cold weather, and spending time with my family and friends.

Beth Abbott

Columbia Barnard '20

Beth is a senior from New York City studying history at Barnard College. She is an avid reader, feminist, animal lover, and enjoys traveling whenever she can. Beth's favorite sports are hockey (New York Islanders) and tennis. You can find her on Facebook and Instagram @bethabbott17.