This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.
What are you involved in and what does your position entail?

I am Chair of Orchesis, Columbia’s largest student dance group, which basically means I am responsible for everyone on the Orchesis Board doing what they are supposed to do! A big part of my job that I think is often overlooked is keeping Orchesis members happy and updated—especially during tech week, when there is always a lot going on and many little details to figure out.  And enthusiasm is always important to keep these amazing dancers and choreographers motivated throughout the semester!

What is your dance background?

I’ve been dancing since I was very young. I think I probably started ballet when I was around 3 years old (so many Nutcrackers!), and have been taking jazz and modern since middle school.  The dance department is one of the main reasons I came to Barnard, so I try to take advantage of dance technique classes here, open classes around the city, and classes at my old studios when I go home for breaks.  I had a brief foray into hip hop a couple semesters ago, but I think that I should probably leave that to the pros.

What is your favorite part about Orchesis?
 My favorite part about Orchesis is the fact that we accept everyone who comes to auditions.  As someone who started out in a large piece where I felt unseen and moved into the position I am now, I really appreciate the chance Orchesis gives everyone to shine onstage and off. It’s something that sets us apart from every other performing arts group on this campus and such a valuable asset that we have.

What is the hardest part about running the show? Most rewarding?
Probably allowing myself to be onstage and not think about all the other behind the scenes things that are/are supposed to be happening!  I love performing so much, but it is very difficult to be present when you are also stressing out about a variety of other things…I guess that is why I keep dancing, though, because it is so therapeutic and forces me to stop thinking so much.  The most rewarding part about running the show is getting to see people onstage, smiling and being sassy and just really enjoying themselves.  There is a lot of stress and nerves about going onstage, so when people are able to let loose it’s so gratifying to see.  I think my favorite moment is right before we start our last show, when we are all primed and ready to give it our all.  I love the camaraderie of Orchesis and I’m happy to be part of continuing that tradition.

What is your favorite Orchesis memory?
My favorite Orchesis memory is getting my first Spirit Award my sophomore year.  These awards are given to dancers who show enthusiasm and dedication in a piece, and each choreographer gets to give one out.  I was so surprised and honored to get one, and it really solidified my feeling that I’d found a group on campus where I would always be able to dance and feel at home.  Spirit Awards are still one of my favorite parts of Orchesis each semester.

What else are you involved in on campus?
 I am one of the Directors of Nightline, Barnard and Columbia’s peer listening hotline, and a senior interviewer in the Admissions office at Barnard.  I also got the chance to perform at New York Live Arts as part of the Barnard Project this semester, which was an incredible experience.

Where do you see yourself in five years?
My fellow seniors can attest to how little we like thinking about the answer to this question.  I guess I see myself in a different incarnation of what I am doing now—dancing, working, probably too busy and slightly sleep-deprived. I hope to be working in the clinical psychology field, with children and adolescents ideally, and I hope to still be in New York City!  In five years I also hope to be more well-traveled than I am now.  And I hope I will be lucky enough to be surrounded by people I love, no matter where I am or what I am doing.

Who is your role model?
 My role model is one of my dance professors, Colleen, who took a group of Barnard students to Paris this year. She is smart, creative, passionate, but most importantly, she really cares about her students and is determined to push us without making us frustrated.  Her class has been a constant in my Barnard experience and it is something I will really miss when I graduate.  Going to Paris with her was lovely for a million reasons, but one of the biggest was getting to know her better as a person instead of just as a dance teacher.  She is also the coolest mom ever and her kids are so lucky to have dancer/choreographer/world-traveler parents!

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!
Toby Milstein

Columbia Barnard

Hi my name is Toby Milstein and I'm a student at Barnard College at Columbia University!