Julia Qian: SGA Now, White House Later

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Name: Julia Qian

Major: History with a concentration on “War, Revolution and Social Changes” 

Year: 2015

Role in SGA: President

What got you interested in Barnard SGA? As a transfer and an international student, I wanted to feel home at Barnard. Joining the SGA family was my way of making Barnard home. I not only made lifelong friends with other extraordinary leaders in SGA, but also had unparalleled opportunities to voice my opinion and even to be a part of the decision making process for this amazing school. SGA is a place where I am constantly challenged, encouraged, inspired and supported to be a strong, bold and beautiful leader. I am truly grateful for that.

What are you most looking forward to out of what’s planned so far? I am super excited for Barnard’s 125th celebration. I have been on the 125th anniversary steering committee and I am confident to say that we will all have a phenomenal and unforgettable year. On the policy side, I look forward to engaging students in discussions on admission policy on trans* students and the year-long process of curriculum review with Provost’s office. 

Biggest change you hope to see implemented on campus this year: I have many hopes for this year, including everything from a more inclusive campus to a more collaborative relationship between administrators and students. It’s not about what I personally want to accomplish this year, but rather what Barnard women want. One thing that I am pushing forward is a school-wide survey at the beginning of the year to gather information from students to see what they want us to do this year. At the end of the day, we are elected leaders to represent and to serve our peers. Shameless plug: join SGA! http://barnard.edu/sga/getinvolved.

So…should we expect to see you on the ticket for POTUS in the future? Or SCOTUS, at least? Haha DEF YES, if either the US allows non-natural-born-citizen to be its president or China decides to have tickets for presidents.

Balancing the opinions and requests of an entire student body is probably tiring, so how do you relax? I would just chill with friends under the magnolia tree in Lehman Lawn (when it is still not snowing yet) or take a walk on Cherry Walk next to the Hudson River, or, full disclosure, I love to clean dishes if someone wants to cook for me!
Gaby Kirschner

Columbia Barnard

Barnard '16. Writing in NYC.
Rachel Bernstein

Columbia Barnard