Jezebel SOHO: The New Kool, Kosher Restaurant You Should Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

One would not necessarily associate the word “kosher” with sexy.
Harry Stimler and Menachem Senderowicz sought to redefine the conventional definition of kosher dining with the creation of Jezebel, their hip new restaurant across from the Soho Grand on West Broadway. The space is a beautifully converted 100 year old house with a downstairs lounge and upstairs restaurant featuring food by Café Boulud’s Bradford Thompson.

In an exclusive interview, co-owner Senderowicz explained, “My partner and I were constantly out and about, and felt that the kosher dining scene was lacking that fun factor. There were never places we would want to go to for a birthday party or a fun night out – they simply didn’t cater to that clientele. We wanted a restaurant that provided that aspect…where it wasn’t just about eating strictly kosher food but about everything: ambiance, art, music, crowd, and of course great food that just happens to be kosher.”

Everything about Jezebel is unexpected from the baskets of fresh kale chips that accompany the delicious drinks in the bar area, to the Jewish pop-culture paintings that adorn the walls. My favorite is a re-creation of the last supper with Woody Allen substituted for Jesus.
And what about Larry David as the farmer in the famous painting, American Gothic?

When asked about how his project has been doing over the last couple of months , Senderowicz says, “Things are going great, people love the ambiance but I think the greatest proof is our crowd. It’s a total eclectic mix from the ultra orthodox to super models”.

Check out Jezebel’s weekly Friday night Shabbat dinners or Sunday morning brunch parties for models and bottles sexy kosher style!

Toby Milstein

Columbia Barnard

Hi my name is Toby Milstein and I'm a student at Barnard College at Columbia University!