Style

It’s Giving… Season: Your Ultimate Holiday Gift Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Does it feel like you give your loved ones the same gifts every year… or is it just me? Well, this year, I think it is time we change it up and get creative with our gift giving. Below is the ultimate gift guide for all types of people in your life.

For the Traveler…

1.  New Luggage Set

Every time I go to the airport, my bags look worse and worse after being subjected to God-knows-what by security. Get your favorite jetsetter a cute, new luggage set that draws eyes from gate to gate! 

1. Packing Cubes

For the neat freaks like me, this one is essential. Instead of throwing clothes into the suitcase at the last minute, the person who receives this gift can plan their outfits out before they take flight and find each article of clothing they packed with ease. After a long day of travel, opening an organized suitcase is a big stress-reliever.

1. Travel-Sized Hygiene Sampler

Don’t let your loved one be the person who holds up the security line at the airport because they forgot they can’t bring their 30 oz. bottle of shampoo on board. I recommend going to the travel-sized section of the drugstore and making a goodie basket out with travel sized essentials: shampoo, conditioner, body wash, a mini hairbrush, mouthwash, toothpaste, and maybe even a lint roller if you’re feeling fancy. You can also purchase a travel-sized bottle set from the store and fill it with all of your loved one’s favorite hygiene essentials.

1. Bluetooth Wireless Audio Transmitter

On many long haul flights, there are TV screens you can play games on, watch movies, and more. Rather than using the airline’s uncomfortable and low quality earbuds to listen to the TV’s audio, you can buy your favorite traveler a bluetooth wireless audio transmitter so they can listen to movies/TV shows/etc on the plane using their own wireless headphones. It’s all about the little things when traveling… 

1. Passport Holder

Jazz up your family or friend’s passport with a passport holder! Not only do passport holders have space for a passport, but they often have other slots for important documents such as your COVID-19 vaccine card, as well as money, cards, and more. Getting a personalized passport holder that has your loved one’s initials or name on it is also a special, personalized touch you could add!

For the Beauty + Wellness Babes…

1. Holiday Gift Sets

Whether you know your loved one’s favorite beauty and wellness products or don’t even know where to start, this gift idea is perfect for all. Most beauty suppliers such as Ulta, Sephora, and Target sell “holiday gift sets” that contain a sample of one brand — or many brands’— perfumes, bath and shower necessities, makeup essentials, and more. Holiday gift sets combine a variety of products into one easy-to-buy item. These sets are usually sold for less than what you would spend on the individual items separately, making this a great buy for people who want to save!

1.  Hair Accessories and Tools

The most important step in many daily routines is hair care, so it is important we highlight gifts to give us the perfect hair look. There’s no better hair gift than cute claw clips, bows, and other accessories. These pieces are usually inexpensive, yet they can make all the difference in a look. Also, I recommend purchasing styling tools to escalate your loved one’s hair game. A blow dryer, curling or straightening iron, or even a blowout brush are great styling options. 

1. Essential Oil Diffuser

Think of an essential oil diffuser as a step up from a candle. Buy some essential oils (potentially an essential oil sampler) to pair with your diffuser and — just like that — you have a perfect smelling, calming gift. Unlike with candles, you don’t have to worry about this gift burning your loved one’s house to the ground. 

1. Masks and Patches

Ahh, pimples and under eye bags: we all have them… and that’s ok! Consider making your loved one a wellness basket composed of eye/lip/face masks, as well as pimple patches. I recommend exploring not only pimple patches, but also nose strips, and dark spot removers. If you want to upgrade this gift even more, consider pairing it with a cosmetic refrigerator, or even just a simple blanket they can cuddle up with during a self care night. 

1. The “Wellness Outfit”

Are you really doing an at-home spa night right if you don’t look the part? A few items you can consider as a part of your “wellness outfit” gift includes a robe, hair wrap/towel, slippers, and a sleeping eye mask. You can make this gift as creative as you would like by personalizing the items or making all of the items go with a specific color theme.

For The Cooks…  

1. Ninja Creami

Who knew a single kitchen appliance could satisfy so many of your cravings! Whether your loved one is in the mood for a smoothie bowl or milkshake, the Ninja Creami makes a million variations of your favorite foods. This is also a perfect gift for people who like to host parties where made-from-scratch food is present!

1. Charcuterie Board

Charcuterie Boards have been the latest food plating trend for a minute, so you already knew this item was going to be on this guide. The person who receives this gift can use the board traditionally by placing fruits, nuts, and dairy products on it, or they can jazz it up by using it for “theme nights” where the board has a certain food item theme… again, perfect for parties. There are endless options and possibilities with this gift.

1. Electric Tabletop S’mores Maker 

Raise your hand if you love s’mores but hate smelling like a fire pit after making them. (I’m raising my hand… lol.) A tabletop s’mores maker allows you to create perfectly toasted marshmallows without having to leave the comfort and warmth of your home… how much better can it get?!

1. Coffee-Lover Kit

This holiday season, make a coffee lover happy by giving them the ultimate coffee setup. I recommend starting with a Keurig and K-Cups, as these two items can make anything from coffee, to hot chocolate, and even apple cider. If you’re feeling adventurous, you could include a K-Cup holder, syrups and toppings, and even a frother in this gift set. 

1. “Many-in-1” Kitchen Tools

Nobody likes clutter-filled drawers, and this gift idea is going to make sure your loved one’s kitchen is mess-free. Rather than buying individual kitchen utensils such as measuring cups, graters, and juicers, buy an “All-in-1” utensil that has it all! There are a variety of “all-in-1” kitchen tools on Amazon, so you’ll easily be able to find one that includes tools your favorite chef uses frequently. 

For the Busy BEE…

1. Reusable Notebook + Stationery

Make your favorite busy person an environmentally friendly icon this holiday season by gifting them a reusable notebook! This gift will save your busy friend time and money… and who doesn’t love saving time and money? Also, you can pair this simple — yet useful — gift with cute stationary. Highlighters, pens, pencils, and even fun-shaped erasers will bring a smile to the person who receives this gift’s face—even when they are extremely busy. 

1. Echo Dot or Echo Show by Amazon

The Amazon Echo: the piece of technology that allows you to read the news, see your to-do list, listen to music, hear the weather forecast and more… all in one. Busy people love nothing more than being efficient, and this device will allow that busy person to be just that. 

1. Water Bottle 

Before you say it, yes, I know this has to be the most basic gift ever. But water bottles have become even more intricate than they have ever been before, meaning they are the perfect gift to give this holiday season. I recommend gifting a water bottle with a filtering system so your loved one can drink fresh, clean, and good-tasting water on the go. Also, if you’re feeling trendy, gift a Stanley or Hydro Flask.

1. Apple AirTags

Busy people are often in a rush, causing them to leave items behind or lose things. Give the gift of peace of mind this winter by gifting your loved ones AirTags so they never lose their wallet, keys, or other important items ever again. You can pair this gift with cute AirTag covers, too!

1. Gift Certificate for Meal Delivery Service

Sometimes work, school, and other tasks lead us to neglect our health and cooking. Instead of—or in addition to—loading your loved ones up with candy and coco this holiday season, give them a gift certificate to a meal delivery service (HelloFresh, Home Chef, etc). There is nothing better than being able to prepare a home cooked meal in a matter of minutes. You could pair this gift with a cookbook or apron, too—anything to add a special touch!

If you’ve made it this far, you’re ready to be the best gift-giver this holiday season. Happy holidays!

Claire Cenovic

Columbia Barnard '27

Claire Cenovic is a First Year at Barnard College who loves photography, cooking, and volleyball. She is looking forward to exploring New York City and college life as a whole, and can't wait to write about her experiences along the way.