alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Introducing Your New Personal Concierge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Between rooftops, boozy brunches, and 9-5 internships, this summer hasn’t left time for much other than lounging, Bellini-sipping, and – unfortunately –many, many, spreadsheets. If you, like us, feel yourself entering that all-too-familiar mid-summer rut, we might just have the perfect cure.

Her Campus Barnard recently took a break from the desktop/lounge-chair grind to sit down with Mareza Larizadeh and Ali Troute, The CEO and Head of Product Development of rising start-up, pulsd, a burgeoning web platform set on bringing New Yorkers the best the City has to offer.

Conceptually, pulsd resembles popular promotional websites like Gilt City and Living Social. pulsd’s game, however, is much fresher than its promotion-focused peers. pulsd isn’t a promotional site, but a digital event-curator – a “personal concierge,” as they say – hand selecting the most unique, most unknown, and most exciting events in the city.

pulsd doesn’t shy away from the spa passes, gym-deals, or wine-and-dine specials typical of most promotional-deal platforms. The site does, however, offer its consumers a little something extra. Email blasts offer info on exclusive gallery openings, speakers, concerts, celeb meet-and-greats, and summer-ready social events.

The company’s goal is simple –  it offers its consumers the absolute best of the best.

That directional simplicity is what has made pulsd such a success, and its primary goal for the future is plainly to create more of what it’s already done, “as organically and authentically as possible,” Larizadeh told Her Campus.

The team’s advice to HCB readers? If you’re considering going the start-up route post-grad, ensure you find a company in which you’re given a lot of responsibility – where you can make a “massive impact,” Troute told us.

Second, think twice about the start-up salary. Competitive pay may need to be a second priority, given the funding hurdles and general financial instability typical of most rising brands.

And finally, do some soul-searching. Are you a self-starter? Creative? Adaptable? People who work at start-ups are autonomous, collaborative, and have a knack for innovative thinking. Hate group projects? Breaking out in hives at the thought of deviating from your perfectly-programmed daily schedule? You’ll probably flounder under the hip, indie pressure that’s par for the course in this youth-heavy industry.

Talia Weisner

Columbia Barnard