Internet Guru: Blogs to make you LOL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Like many of us, I like to waste time by going through my arsenal of carefully chosen blogs. I always find great joy in sharing these with friends, who subsequently become obsessed themselves. These are some of the websites that consistently make me die of laughter. If you are in the library right now, though, I would suggest waiting until later to look at these, a) because the library is a place of despair where joy and laughter are not appreciated and b) because you’re going to look like a lunatic if you start cackling hysterically.

Regretsy
Etsy is a magical website where anyone can sell their creations, artwork and vintage items. Most of the time the items are really cool—I personally am addicted to finding original, handmade and often custom clothing and accessories. (ImYourPresent, PennyMasquerade, ClaireLaFaye and UntamedMenagerie are some of my favorites, in case anyone new to Etsy needs some starting points.) However, there is a large amount of really, really weird crap on Etsy. People make the weirdest stuff and for some reason believe that people will buy it. Regretsy lovingly curates all that is WTF on Etsy, complete with snarky commentary and delightful hate-mail from Etsy sellers.

PeopleofWalmart
No explanation needed.

BetterMyths
I just discovered this website the other day, and it is definitely one of my greatest finds. The site is done by a graduate student who is actually studying mythology/folklore/literature/something along those lines, and consists of his retelling stories from around the world in the most obnoxious, hilarious way imaginable. SnowWhiteandtheSevenDwarvesWhoDontKnowtheHeimlichManeuver is a spectacular example. The stories are rife with foul language, though, so don’t plan on reading them aloud at your next family gathering. Unless your family is cool with that.

TheArtofTrolling
Trolling truly is an art form. This site pays homage to that.

PerezHamilton, AnimalsTalkinginAllCaps and other tumblrs
Maybe I find Perez Hamilton especially funny because I am a history major, but I’m pretty sure anyone can appreciate it. It is a historical gossip blog in the style of Perez Hilton. It covers American history, and starts with Columbus’s “discovery” of America. Animals Talking in All Caps, though, is most certainly universally hilarious/ridiculous/clever/intelligent. The tumblr is exactly what it sounds like—pictures of animals with highly appropriate captions. It is by far my absolute favorite. These are only two, however, of the many ingenious tumblrs that I have come across. Some others include: KimJongIlDroppingtheBass, HistorySaidWhat, TomSelleckWaterfallSandwich, etc.

PassiveAggressiveNotes
Also self-explanatory. You could passive-aggressively show it to your roommate though, who passive-aggressively leaves you notes to take out the trash and stuff. Maybe she’ll get the hint?

…I could continue with more sites, but I do have to work on my paper (you know you have one too). Thus: GO FORTH AND PROCRASTINATE!

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!