An Inspiring Global Leaders’ Forum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

At exactly 2pm Aung San Suu Kyi walked into Low Library and was welcomed by a standing applause. Before she even spoke, just her smile, her presence, and the symbol of what she represents made me feel so honoured and privileged to be sitting where I was.

The conference was discussion-based and began with Aug San Suu Kyi telling us that the reason she wanted to visit Columbia was because she wanted to talk to young people. She believes that human capital is the most important resource for a country and that the worst situation for a country is the “human resource curse,” where people who are unemployed, uneducated, and unhappy. The discussion was moderated by Ann Curry, NBC News’ National and International Anchor and Correspondent, who asked many interesting questions about what inspired Aung San Suu Kyi, and how she coped with her years during house arrest.

From the disccussion, Aung San Suu Kyi left us with many messages. Her most important message was that principles mattered, no matter how old-fashion this may be, and we must live a “principled duty-conscious life”. She also talked to us about the ways in which she kept herself disciplined during the fiffteen years she was under house arrest in a tone which showed no anger or resentment. She believes that non-violent protest is the best method and that we should use our anger in a positive way. Using the wrong means will distort ends and causes many of us to lose sight of our true goals. 

Once the floor opened up for questions, both lines for the microphone stretched as far as the entrance of the auditorium. A Burmese students dressed in his traditional costume approached the microphone and as he tried to hold back his tears and phrase his words for what for him was “most remarkable time of his life,” many of us were also struggling to hold our tears back as we witnessed what Aung San Suu Kyi means to many Burmese people as their symbol of hope and inspiration.

As I looked at her I could see no fear, no anger. Her smile, her selfless character and the ability to inspire so many through her stories and advices shows how she is truly an inspiring person.

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!