Style > Beauty

I Tried Full Brazilian Sugaring & Here’s What You Need To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Hello friends, I would first like to say that I am only choosing to publish this article anonymously because, as I was typing it out, I had a mental picture of myself in about 20 years running for political office. In this mental picture, I am holding a newspaper and the headline reads “congressional candidate wrote an article about her pubes in college,” and honestly I don’t want to deal with that.

History of sugaring

Now that that’s out of the way, let’s get into the real reason we’re all here today: sugaring. While there is evidence that some form of sugaring has been around since Ancient Egypt, some of the details are a little unclear. One thing is for sure though, this is a revived method of hair removal. It’s experiencing a revival now largely due to its organic appeal. For more info on the history of sugaring, check out these links from Pure Sugar Salon and JB Homemade.

So… what exactly is sugaring?

Sugaring is most comparable to waxing, but with a few key differences. For one, the sugaring “paste” (it looks exactly like honey) only has three ingredients: water, sugar, and lemon juice. It is also applied at room temperature, which means no scorching hot chemical gloop on your vulva. Sugaring also only removes dead skin cells, so you leave feeling exfoliated and not like a plucked chicken. (Sugaring NYC)

Services

I decided to get my sugaring done at Sugaring NYC. Sugaring NYC offers many services at a number of locations around the city. Anyone can get pretty much any hair they want removed at what I consider to be a surprisingly low cost. For my purposes, I wanted a full brazilian due to an influx of ingrown hairs. Essentially, I wanted to rip it all out and start over. Many individuals also go for a more styled look with a significant amount of hair left- it’s all up to you and your personal preferences.  

The procedure

Honestly, I expected the experience to be painful and awkward. It ended up being tolerable and comfortable. My esthetician and I carried on a perfectly normal conversation as if I wasn’t naked from the waist down so that she could rub a stick paste all over my vulva and remove all of my pubes. As for the pain, I was prepared for the worst. As someone who has only ever shaved, I had no clue what to expect. It wasn’t a great feeling, of course, but overall it was a couple seconds of pain and then nothing at all. The entire full brazilian took about twenty minutes, and the pain came in short, tolerable bursts. Towards the end, I even did a required survey for a class on my phone while hair was yanked out from my labia. The worst time is the first time, and that wasn’t even  so bad.

The results

I am astounded. I couldn’t ask for better results. I rebooked for April. If the only thing holding you back is skepticism, trust me when I say sugaring does the job. For the first three rounds, they recommend returning every four weeks. After that, it’s up to you and the speed of your hair growth. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by how completely the results made any pain worth it, and if hair removal is something you’re into, I recommend sugaring whole-heartedly.