How to Succeed in Business: The CQBS Mentoring Initiative

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Former Campus Cutie, Morgan, has recently gotten involved with Columbia Queer Business Society (CQBS), an organization that has greatly impacted her professional life as a CU student.  Read ahead to find out more about Morgan’s experience and how you can get involved:

CQBS has introduced me to LGBT undergrads who share my passion for excelling both while in college and after graduation. After attending my first CQBS event with Goldman Sachs, I was so impressed with the value that this organization had already brought me (I was later offered an interview at Goldman Sachs for a summer internship as a direct result of this networking event). Now, as the director of student affairs, I have gotten to know our executives and our members so well and have learned so much from them – from how to be out in the workplace to what I even want to do with my life. CQBS is an amazing place that provides professional support, lasting friendships, and valuable networking with professionals from nearly every industry. 

I’m so excited to announce that, at the start of next semester, we’ll be kicking off The CQBS Mentoring Initiative.  This collaborative program will pair highly-motivated LGBT undergraduates with a pre-professional mentor from ClusterQ, the LGBT association at Columbia Business School. The Initiative allows Columbia undergraduates to learn from a diverse community of LGBT professionals from various industries, including technology, financial services, government, consulting, media, retail, and many more. The initiative seeks to increase connectivity between LGBT undergraduates and MBA students and expose LGBT undergraduates to experienced LGBT professionals who are willing to share their insight into being out in the workplace.

If you’re an LGBT undergrad interested in getting ahead in the professional world, I would definitely recommend applying (fill it out in Google Forms) or reading more at thecqbs.com!