How To: Save Space and Stay Trendy in your dorm room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Figuring out how to style and decorate your dorm room is an experience almost every college first year has. What type of bedding should I get? Should I have a color scheme in my room? Where am I going to put all my stuff? Dorm organization doesn’t always have to be plain or boring. There are several ways to save space in your room without cutting out style.

Cute boxes that you can stack on top of each other are a great way to save space in your dorm. These boxes can hold a multitude of things from jewelry to school supplies. They’re a great way to add patterns and pops of color to your room. Chic carry-alls like this are inexpensive too–they can be found at Ikea, Target, or Paper Source.

Most college students place their pencils, pens, papers and folders in a basic mug or a steel container. Instead, ditch the metal and check out these boxes from Ikea, Target, and Bed Bath and Beyond. They are stylish while still doing the job! It’s a cute way to stay organized all throughout the school year with out compromising on the style or design of your room!

A majority of college girls usually throw their makeup brushes into a drawer or a basic pouch, but a great place to store makeup brushes is in a unique cup or mug that you can find somewhere in your house or at a thrift store. Doubling child art projects as college dorm room decorations is both thrifty and creative! 

A laundry hamper was one of the last things that I bought for my dorm room. I knew that I wanted it to be not only bright and colorful, but also useful. Instead of using an extra large pillowcase or a big drawstring bag, I decided to go with this hamper from Bed Bath and Beyond. This hamper unzips on the top and it also unzips sideways for when I’m carrying my folded laundry back to my room. It’s a great place to not only put your dirty laundry, but to brighten up your room while you’re at it. 

Ama Kwarteng

Columbia Barnard

Liana Gergely

Columbia Barnard