How to Handle Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Stress is not a foreign emotion to students in an academically challenging environment. It is normal to get overwhelmed sometimes. However, this final season stress is not going to get the best of you! In one of my previous internships, I helped out a life coach who goes by the name of “Coach” Colette. Colette Ellis, founder of InStep Consulting LLC, is an author, executive coach, and motivational speaker who helps empowers clients to get “in step” with their health so they can focus on what’s most important in their lives. She has developed some great tips that can help you manage your stress. There is no better time to try these tips out then this December!

First, identifying stressors will help you manage your response to stress. Some examples of stressors are major life events (moving, changing jobs), reoccurring stressors (job or family problems, financials problems, academic work), and internal stressors (self-esteem issues, unrealistic expectations of yourself or others, concerns about academic performance). For example, a major life event would be being a senior who is not sure what she’s doing after graduation. A recurring stressor would be schoolwork (because honestly it NEVER ENDS), and an internal stressor could be your love-hate relationship with Hewitt brownies…and by extension, your waistline.

By being able to recognize these stressors, you can take the next step of appraisal. Determine the gravity of the stressor and whether it is as bad as it seems in this stressful moment. Then try to think if your friends, family or yourself have experienced this situation before. Even though your family might even be one of your recurring stressors, they can also be your biggest cheerleaders and your safety net when you got a disappointing grade on a paper.

Afterwards think about what you would like the outcome to be in the situation. Instead of succumbing to stress responses, like poor concentration, self-doubt, and shortness of breath, try to use some healthy coping strategies. Oh, you don’t know any of your own coping strategies offhand? Here are Coach Colettes’!

There are three different methods of coping strategies for stress:

Attacking the problem: Problem solving, effective communication, positive action, and seeking social support. Try reaching out to your peers because they most likely are experiencing similar feelings and working together on de-stressing might be very productive.

Rethinking the Problem: Positive thinking, rational thinking, cognitive restructuring, spiritual insight, self-esteem building.

Managing Stress: Relaxation, meditation, proper breathing, visualization

Of course, if you feel like you need resources on campus, there is Furman counseling (212) 854-2092 and Nightline (212) 854-7777. Having the chance to explain your stress out loud to someone else might help it be easier to identify your stressors and create solutions to assuage your anxiety. And most of all, don’t let your stress get the best of you! Remember, at the end of the day, these tests and papers are not the end of the world in the scheme of your life. Friendships come and go. A less-than-stellar grade is not as important as your personal health and emotional well-being. Stay positive and (my favorite) don’t forget to sleep. Everything becomes easier when you are well-rested and healthy, and 1000x harder when you are exhausted and droopy. So skip those late nights in Butler and get some rest!

Find out more about Coach Colette and her stress-relieving tips here: @Coach_Colette @InStepConsults

http://www.instepconsulting.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages…

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!