This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It is hard to believe that a year ago I could still attend class in person. I almost forget what it feels like to see people in person rather than in small, virtual boxes. Don’t get me wrong, I still despise all the negative outcomes of the pandemic, but here are some positive things I took away from living through the COVID-19 pandemic.

I cherish my family 

Losing my grandfather during the pandemic and not having the opportunity to attend his funeral made me more appreciative of all my family members. It helped me realize how vulnerable humans are to death. I cherish my family, the time we spend together, and I am now more appreciative of everything my family does for me. My time at home with my family made me more aware of how much my family means to me. 

I appreciate nature 

I will admit, I have never been much of a nature person, but being in quarantine for many consecutive months made me yearn for nature and the outside world. I would previously say no to my friends’ invite on hikes, but now I would accept immediately. I just want to see the outside world again, as long as I can do it safely!

I enjoy my friends and social gatherings 

As an introvert, I personally really enjoy spending time alone. Still, this year has been a very lonely one. I miss spending time with my friends, where we might study and then gossip or talk about what’s going on in our lives. Although I still talk to my friends and others, most of my interactions are through chats or video chats. I miss being with others and going to public events. Therefore, I can’t wait for the day when everything becomes “normal” again. 

I don’t have to spend all my time commuting 

I love how close my bed is to my study area. I no longer have to rush to go to classes. When I am tired from school, I get to lay in bed for a rest. 

Office hours have waiting rooms and private meetings 

I like this Zoom feature because asking questions or waiting outside a professor’s room is less awkward. I can also speak to TAs and Professors privately. Although spending a lot of time on zoom gets tiring, this feature is one positive aspect. 

In the past year, I have had a lot of time to reflect. Although COVID-19 disrupted my life in many ways, I still learned from my experiences and strived to become better. 

Lily Cai

Columbia Barnard '23

Lily is a sophomore at Barnard College, intending to double major in economics and computer science. Apart from school, she loves trying out new food and cuisines. She also enjoys listening to music, reading books, and watching Netflix. Lily would love to meet new people and feel free to reach out to her!