Holiday Movie Season Blockbusters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

The season of Blockbusters is upon us. It always seems that about this time of year, when the weather is becoming more and more unpleasant and the days are becoming shorter and darker, that Hollywood starts to pull out all the stops. I recently went to the movies and was blown away by the sheer volume of movies coming out within the next two months. So, what are the must see films this holiday season? These are the five I have put at the top of my list (like I have time to go see five 2-hour films… hey, a girl can dream).

1.     Les Miserables (Release Date December 25, 2012): I very well may be biased in this selection since I made my stage debut as peasant #4 in my middle school’s edition of Les Mis in 6th grade. Nevertheless, the movie still looks really well made and incredibly exciting. Tom Hooper, the director, has tackled Victor Hugo’s classic novel of love, war, life and death in 19th century France. The cast is packed with stars:  Anne Hathaway, Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Amanda Seyfried, Helena Bonham Carter, and Sasha Baron Cohen will all grace the silver screen in this film. The music was filmed live and is actually really good (I was so surprised by Hathaway’s voice – and her hair!) The movie will definitely be an emotional rollercoaster and I am excited to see what Hooper has done with the classic plot. I know what I’m doing on Christmas day!

2.     Skyfall (Release Date: November 9, 2012): This movie just came out this past Friday and, after seeing it immediately, in my opinion, is amazing! I am a huge Bond fan and, although I’m partial to Connery, I think Daniel Craig did a really good job with the role. I was not such a fan of Quantum of Solace, but Skyfall has redeemed Craig in my eyes. The movie is action packed, funny, sexy and exciting. The movie got a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes so you don’t have to take my word for it’s greatness—even those nasty critics on RT seem to have enjoyed it.

3.     Anna Karenina (Release Date: November 16, 2012): In general I love anything with Kiera Knightley and Joe Wright (director of Pride & Prejudice and Atonement) so I am obviously very excited for Anna K (also, personally I love the story since I was named after Ms. Karenina herself). Based off the famous novel by Leo Tolstoy about Russian aristocracy, love, passion and human nature. The story is riveting, Knightley is gorgeous, and the movie will be powerful.

4.     Lincoln (Release Date: December 21, 2012): Can you tell I like historical films? Lincoln got a whopping 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, so I have to add it to my list. I’m not usually a huge biographical movie fan but this one has gotten my attention. I mean Steven Spielberg directing Daniel Day-Lewis in a movie about Abraham Lincoln, how couldn’t it get my attention!? The movie focuses on the 16th President’s last months in office. The struggles of the nation are explored in great detail throughout the 2.5 hour-long movie in a way that is far from boring. I encourage every history buff and even those who don’t thoroughly enjoy reading their history textbooks to go see this film, you won’t be sorry.

5.     The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Release Date December 14, 2012): The Hobbit is the story of Bilbo Baggins, the hobbit who started his nephew, Frodo’s, journey in the epic Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Peter Jackson has returned to direct the movie which, as in the nature of all the Lord of the Rings movies, is full of dragons, goblins, orcs, dwarfs and, obviously, hobbits. Ian McKellen has also returned to resume his role as Gandalf the Grey. As a precursor story to the trilogy we all know and love, this movie promises to be not only good, but great!

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!