His Campus: Keeping up with Jonas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

I love the snow, but I have no bae with whom to cuddle on these chilly nights. Any suggestions?

With Jonas barraging through the East Coast just like D Trump through the Presidential election, it’s good that you like this weather because we definitely have a lot of it. 

During these next couple of cold months, you’ll hear a lot of people talking about this new dating phenomenon called “hibernating”, where people start to couple up because they’re not feeling the trek to Mel’s on a Thursday night when they have econ recitation at 10:00 AM on Friday morning. This phenomenonmay make you feel like Andy Stitzer before he finally lost it to Trish: weird, stigmatized, and ultimately lonely. Screw that notion and anyone out there who tries to convince you that it’s true—spending every moment with #bæ and sending Snapchats collectively 300 seconds long would make anyone want to projectile vomit. Maybe they really are happy, or maybe they’re trying to reassure themselves that being single isn’t the shit (which it is). 

You’re in college, which also means that you’re young and incredibly sexy, with every opportunity at your feet in this city we call New York. Take advantage of that. Listen to Drake: go out more and wear less. You have your entire life ahead of you to cuddle with bæ on chilly nights. Don’t try and settle just so you can be a part of the new winter fad; before you know it, your Beth Cooper will be a reality.

I had a miserable time at a bar last weekend and I’m nervous to go back. Thoughts?

Between actually getting your foot through the door to the overpriced drinks and the social anxiety to actually talk to people, bars can be rough sometimes. And so, it can be hard to get down and let your freak flag fly without any of these things getting in the way.  So, don’t feel like a troll if you had a bad night; it’s perfectly normal.

It also just may be that the bar you #turnedup at wasn’t the bar for you. I promise you getting pushed by three different freshmen while one of Columbia’s defensive linemen pours beer on your head all at the same time isn’t ideal for most people (if that does sound like a good time to you though, feel free to check out Cannon’s after a Sig Chi rush party). There are quite a few bars around campus, and just like the beautiful girls strutting CU’s campus, each has its own unique thing to offer to the world. So, try them out, you’re bound to vibe with one of them, and maybe you’ll find your new ~after frat bar~.

Bars may also just not be for you, and there’s nothing wrong with that! I mean after all, why try and find a boy at a bar when you’ve got Ben and Jerry back at the dorm waiting for you after a night out? Your friends may make you feel obligated to head to the bars at Mel’s o’clock, but if you think back to sixth grade health, then you’ll realize that’s peer pressure, and giving into that is never the move. Don’t be afraid to stand up to the #haters. Going home early for some quality Netflix and chill is totally valid and can be the best way to end any night.

**Disclaimer: This is a personal piece and does not necessarily reflect the views of Her Campus Media.