absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Hidden Gems in Morningside Heights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

As Columbia students, we tend to stay in the neighborhood, but that doesn’t mean we have to eat at the same restaurants month after month. Here is a list of seven restaurants in Morningside Heights that are worth trying with some friends, your significant other, or by yourself. Some are right in Morningside Heights and others are a little farther away for the more adventurous.

1. Jin Ramen

Jin Ramen is conveniently located right next to the 125th Street subway stop on Broadway. Jin is consistently ranked as one of New York City’s best ramen restaurants, and it’s no wonder why! Jin serves large, affordable bowls of ramen topped with pork, bamboo shoots, soft-boiled egg, seaweed, and scallions. Make sure to arrive on the earlier side or be willing to wait for a table—Jin is busy during the lunch and dinner rush. Try Jin’s tonkotsu ramen or kimchi ramen.

2. Sylvia’s Restaurant

Everyone loves soul food and Sylvia’s Restaurant in Harlem serves some of the best. After sitting down, warm cornbread is immediately brought to your table. For $15, you can get smothered or fried chicken served with two sides of your choice. Sides include macaroni and cheese, candied yams, and collard greens. Sylvia’s also serves chicken and waffles and has a Saturday brunch special.

3. Max Caffe

Max Caffe is a great place to go for a cup of coffee with friends or to do some studying by yourself with a cappuccino at your side. Located between 122nd and 123rd Streets on Amsterdam, Max Caffe serves breakfast and salads, wraps, and paninis for lunch. Snuggle into one of Max Caffe’s comfy couches and enjoy your afternoon!

4. El Porton

El Porton, located between La Salle Street and Tiemann Place on Broadway, is a small Mexican restaurant with delicious food. El Porton has a lunch special that can’t be beat: from 12:00pm to 4:00pm on Monday to Friday, you can choose one dish from a variety of traditional Mexican foods and one drink (sangria, margarita, wine, juice, or coffee) for $8.95! El Porton is open late and shows sports on the TV over the bar.

5. Nikko

Nikko is an Asian restaurant that serves Thai, Japanese, and Chinese food. Nikko has fabulous lunch specials and generous dinner portions. It also has a wonderful selection of sushi and sashimi, all of which is worth trying. Nikko’s shrimp pad Thai is a definite must-try too. Located on the corner of 123rd Street and Amsterdam Avenue.

6. Dinosaur Bar-B-Que

For an insane amount of food and smoky barbeque chicken and ribs, head over to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que at 700 West 125th Street. Be sure to make a reservation or arrive on the early side; Dino BBQ always has a long line, but the food is worth the wait. Try one of Dino’s pit plates—choose between ribs, pork, brisket, chicken, and two sides. Cornbread comes with the meal. Dino has a loud bar section and a family-friendly dining area.

7. Patisserie des Ambassades

I stumbled across this patisserie about a week ago. I decided to go inside because I could smell buttery croissants from the street. Lo and behold, I had the best croissant outside of France at Patisserie des Ambassades. The Patisserie is on Frederick Douglass Boulevard and 119th Street. The croissants are definitely worth the walk.

Elena is a sophomore at Columbia University majoring in English. In her free time, she writes for Her Campus and news for Spectator. She loves New York and her friends.