Here’s 5 Things You Have to Do This Fall In and Around New York City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It’s peak fall season, and as you might expect, New York has some unique experiences to offer. If you’re looking to make the most out of your free time this fall, look no further… add these ideas to your autumnal bucket list. 

1. Boat Ride at Central Park

Rent a rowboat at Central Park’s Loeb Boathouse before they close for the winter season in late November. It’s $20 per hour to take up to four people on a boat where you’ll be able to see gorgeous views of the city’s skyline and finest foliage. This also makes for a romantic date idea. 

1. The Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze

Just outside of New York City, the Jack O’Lantern Blaze is open until November 21st. There are two locations, one in Croton-On-Hudson (closer for city commuters) and one in Long Island. At both locations, you’ll be able to see mind-blowing hand-carved and illuminated pumpkins. Afterwards, stop by the food tents to satisfy your fall cravings — hot apple cider and apple cider donuts are the best. Ticket prices vary.

1. Eataly NYC Flatiron Rooftop 

Eataly is known for its decadent foods, intricate decor, and lively atmosphere. High above the bustling city streets, eating at Eataly’s Serra by Birreria feels like you’ve been whisked away to the colorful countryside. Foodies agree that themed dishes with ingredients sourced from local farms authenticate the entire fall experience. 

1. Hudson Highlands State Park

This park in Beacon, New York is perfect for when you need an escape. Only about an hour and a half train ride from the Harlem 125th Station, plan for a beautiful day trip. There are many trails at this park including Bull Hill Short Loop, which has incredible views of the Hudson River. At the end of this trail, you’ll find the Cornish Estate Ruins. After your hike, explore downtown Beacon, a quaint town with cute bookstores, cafés, and insanely good donuts from the store, Glazed Over Donuts.

1. New York Comedy Festival 

Looking for a laugh? The New York Comedy Festival can give you quite a few. After all that fall adventuring, enjoy comedy performances from some of the greats. The festival runs from November 8th to 14th, so be sure not to miss out! There are a bunch of shows and locations, so pick one that works for you. Ticket prices vary. 

Amita Khurana

Columbia Barnard '23

Amita is a junior at Barnard College double majoring in Political Science and Women’s, Gender, & Sexuality Studies with a minor in Dance. In her free time, she enjoys doing puzzles, listening to podcasts, and dancing.