Her Campus Barnard’s Guide to Spring Denim

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Denim is a fashion essential for all seasons. Whether it is chilly or sunny, denim has a way of transforming itself for whatever condition of the year. Denim is one of your closet’s most versatile items: classic blue jeans, a dark skinny, or some cool cut-offs never fail. A wide array of old and new denim styles are entering the fashion scene this spring, and making a wonderful stylish impact. As we begin to see some much-need sun in the coming weeks, bear in mind some of our favorite denim essentials.

Boyfriend Jeans

Effortless and definitely street-chic, boyfriend jeans are a big trend this spring season. Cuff up the bottoms of a ripped pair and pair with a plaid button down shirt, and oxfords for a casual look, throw on a sleek leather jacket and your favorite pair of booties if you’re looking to dress it up.

Jean Overalls

Jean overalls give off a cool utilitarian vibe that is naturally powerful. They can be worn in pant form and short form (90s throwback anyone?). On those sunny, mild spring days take out a pair of pant denim overalls and pair them with a simple, solid short sleeve or tank top underneath. Feel free to play with the overall straps and let one hang off your shoulder. Once it heats up, wear the short form of denim overalls with a printed long sleeve shirt and complete the look with a great fedora!

Jean Skirts

Back and better than ever – relive those younger years and reach for a great jean skirt during the season. The denim skirt has a variety of lengths, ranging from knee length to mini, and the denim skirt also has a variety of fits, whether it is tight and form fitting or loose. The denim of the skirt can be ripped or remain without distress. The skirt can also be high waisted or low waisted. Pair your skirt with a pair of flats, converse, or oxfords…and if you want to dress up the look a bit, a wedge can do the trick.

Jean Button Down Shirts

Spring denim does not just need to be worn as bottoms…it can also be reworked into awesome tops, particularly a button down shirt. This denim top is a great item to add to your spring closet. It can be dressed up or dressed down, and is pretty much always a style-go either way. Go for denim and denim and pair it with your favorite jeans – just remember to mix up the washes. Pair the outfit with some colorful spring shoes, or your white low-tops and you are set!

Meredith Coleman

Columbia Barnard

Liana Gergely

Columbia Barnard