#HeForShe: Columbia Men Join The Movement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

“Gender equality is not only a women’s issue, it is a human rights issue that requires my participation. I commit to take action against all forms of violence and discrimination faced by women and girls.”heforshe.org

#HeForShe is a social movement that urges men to to re-think the meaning of feminism. Gender equality is not just a women’s issue, but something that affects us all. We at Her Campus Barnard want to share this message with the Columbia and Barnard community both to encourage a positive dialogue and show that there are men on this campus who are committed to inspiring change. These men have taken the #HeForShe commitment to prevent violence and discrimination against women. We invite you to join these men and take the commitment too.

Columbia men have taken this commitment because:

Adrian Silver CC’15: Because every woman should feel safe on every college campus. 

Blake T. Mueller CC’18: Because I want all women to be treated as they deserve to be; chivalry is not dead.

Brandon Mitchell CC’15: Because I believe in equality.

Brendan O’Loughlin CC’15: Because being feminine and being successful shouldn’t have to be mutually exclusive. 

Columbia SHARP A capella Group: Because everybody’s voice should be heard.

Daniel Parmet JTS/GS’15: Because with the world’s economy progressing so fast and globalization spreading, it is vital that social issues progress at an equal rate. Take advantage of the global nature of the economy to spread equality between men and women. There is no reason why men and women should have disparaging salaries due to sex.

David Streid CC’16: Because of my sister.

Francisco Micheo-Marcial CC’15: Because gender inequality is stunting society’s progress. 

Freddy Elliot CC’15: Because everyone deserves an equal opportunity in this precious life we lead.

Johnny Koptyev CC’17: Because discrimination against women is wrong and something must be done about it.

Max Tawil GS/JTS’15: Because of my two younger sisters who should be able to live in a society that respects women.

Michael Fox-Moles CC’ 15: Because my mother, my step-mother, and my sisters have been the most inspiring individuals in my life. 

Michael Joh CC’15: Because it’s right. 

Michael Josephs CC’15: Because women shouldn’t be discriminated against in their workplace.

Michael Purcell CC’16: Because the worth of a person shouldn’t be based on anything but their humanity.

Mo Thomas CC’15: Because I believe in equal rights and equal opportunities for both men and women.

Noah Springwater CC’15: Because women are such an integral part of this world’s success and they deserve and should have the right to all the same freedoms and opportunities as men.

Paulo Parente SEAS’17: Because I have a sister and she deserves the same rights and respect as everyone else. 

Pi Kappa Alpha Iota Lambda Chapter, Columbia University: Because Fraternities believe in feminism too.

Sam Waters CC’ 16: Because my mom has worked her whole life to become as respected in her field as she is today. 

Thomas Reidy CC’15: Because I believe in equal rights for everyone.

Will Settel CC’15: Because it’s the right thing to do.

SHARE this campaign on social media using the hashtag #HeForShe and don’t forget to tag Her Campus Barnard
Facebook: Her Campus Barnard 
Twitter: @HCBarnard 
Instagram: @hercampusbarnard 

Do you want to join the movement? Take a picture with this sign or make your own, tag @HerCampusBarnard on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, and explain why you take the commitment. We will feature you in our photo campaign! 

***Special Thanks to Emily Rappoport and Rachel Schlosser

Rachel Bernstein

Columbia Barnard

Talia Weisner

Columbia Barnard