This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

March is near, which means that International Women’s Day (March 8th) is getting closer with every day that goes by. Women — and this includes cisgender women, women from the LGBTQI+ community including transgender women, women of color, disabled women, women of all life paths — are strong, powerful, kind, bold, creative, and just like that, the list can go on forever. March 8th is a day specially designed for cherishing women worldwide and the accomplishments that they have achieved throughout the years. March 8th is the day to acknowledge that without women and their priceless contributions, their beautiful essence, and their necessary existence, the world would not be the same.

While March 8th is the time to celebrate women and the journey that each of them has endured, it is also the time to bring attention to the issues that constantly put women at a disadvantage. It is the 21st century and still, gender equality has not been reached. Not only are women’s achievements overlooked and downplayed, but systemic barriers affect every single one of them on a daily basis:

As well, International Women’s Day is an important opportunity for advocating and uplifting the voices of transgender women. Throughout history, the transgender community has been marginalized, but it is time to say ‘enough’ and make sure not to make the same mistakes as our predecessors. Trans women are women. They have led and continue leading the fight towards fairness and equality, reminding us of the importance of embracing intersectionality. On this and every day, let’s not leave anyone behind.

The journey towards equality is long and hard, but we have not given up. This is not an only-women’s fight, this is a fight that involves every single one of us, no matter what gender we identify with. As Gloria Steinem, world-renowned feminist, once said: “The story of women’s struggle for equality belongs to no single feminist, nor to any one organization, but to the collective efforts of all who care about human rights.”

Being a student at Barnard, a historically women’s college, I cannot begin to appreciate how lucky I am to be surrounded by such strong, yet beautiful souls that are revolutionizing and will continue to revolutionize the world in all fields. At Barnard, I have seen, firsthand, the power that women and non-binary people hold — they are outspoken, brave, bold, confident, kind, and above all, inspiring. Before applying, I was unsure and rather worried about attending a historically women’s college. 6 months later, I now know that my fears could not have been more irrational. At Barnard, I have found an empowering community of role models, peers, and friends. 

On this day (and to be honest, every day) make sure to make every woman in your life feel as special as they are. From taking your loved one to dinner to writing them a few words of appreciation, creativity is your limit. Anything works as long as you do it truthfully and it comes from the heart. 

All my love to you beautiful, brilliant, and bold women. Happy International Women’s Day!