This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

With the end of midterms quickly approaching, I’ve been looking forward to the sweet release that is Halloween weekend. I personally still feel quite a bit of anxiety about being in large groups of people or at really packed parties, especially because I live with five other students and have immuno-compromised parents, so I’ve been thinking of some things one might fill their weekend with if they still wanted to go out and are trying to avoid FOMO. 

The classics of pumpkin picking, pumpkin carving, baking, and taking scenic walks are absolutely on my to-do list, but I also thought that spending some time volunteering might be fun too. With that in mind, I thought it would be useful to brainstorm some fun, COVID-safe volunteer opportunities for anyone also looking for things to do this Halloween weekend. 

First up is Only Make Believe, 

Only Make Believe is a non-profit and children’s theater company, and they are partnering with Abracadabra NYC to collect unused costumes for chronically ill and disabled children within and near NYC. From now until November 8th, you can donate brand-new costumes at any of their drop off locations in NYC. Each costume donated will be used during the organization’s interactive theater program, creating a world of fantasy to each child outside the hospital walls. BONUS: Abracadabra is offering a 15% discount for each unused costume purchased for donation! To make a donation, head over to Abracadabra NYC located at 19 W 21st Street or go to their office location at 121 West 27th Street, Suite 1002, New York, NY 10001. 

If you’re ordering online and don’t think a donate-able costume will get here in time to donate it, consider directly shipping it to Ween Dream! Ween Dream is a non-profit organization based out of New Orleans that matches kids across the country and within the state with costumes to make all their Halloween dreams come true. If you click the link to their website, you can see the list of costumes they are most in need/want of and what items they won’t accept, as well as their directions for shipping. 

Maybe buying a costume isn’t within your budget right now, that is totally fine! You can volunteer your time with New York City’s 48th Annual Village Halloween Parade on October 31st at 7 p.m. You can volunteer to perform by animating a puppet, be part of another performance element, or help with production, crowd control, and procession by being a parade marshal. Once you fill out their application you’ll be emailed with more detailed information on everything you need to know about assignments, potential rehearsals, how much time you’ll be expected to give, and what to wear and bring on the night of the parade. 

Last, but certainly not least, is FABSCRAP on October 27th. FABSCRAPs Halloween Sip and Sort event is the perfect opportunity to help save designer textiles from landfills. You will be provided with the (super easy) training and then enjoy beer, wine, non-alcoholic beverages for those under 21, and snacks while sorting fabric scraps for recycling. As a bonus, you’ll also be able to shop reclaimed fabrics afterwards! Visit their Eventbrite page for more information specific to the event.  

Halloween is a wonderful break from the crazy hectic lives we’ve all been leading and I hope these few volunteer opportunities help in planning a COVID conscious and fun weekend. 

Genevieve Cabadas

Columbia Barnard '24

I am a sophomore at Barnard double majoring in Sustainability and Human Rights and minoring in Philosophy. I'm passionate about the intersections of human rights and law both within the United States and abroad. Outside of class, you can find me in a bookstore or at the nearest farmers market buying sourdough bread. I'm also a vegan and love cooking, so finding new recipes and places around NYC to eat is a must.