This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Ever since I was a child, my Thanksgiving mornings started with a light 5K race before 10 a.m. In other words, I grew up with a neurotic, exercise-addicted family. While my parents love food, they always had some form of exercise that followed big feasts to lessen the guilt. Growing up as a Jew, Christmas consisted of a long hike in the woods and THEN a big dinner. New Year’s Eve? Midnight snowshoe up a mountain, and then more food.

Now that I’m across the country and in a city where there’s practically no nature compared to my quaint hometown Bend, Oregon, I’ve had to reconsider how to avoid those feelings of guilt for eating whatever I want on Thanksgiving, without running 3.2 miles before hand.

What’s important to consider here is that for most, regardless of your religious beliefs, Thanksgiving is only the threshold that marks the beginning of the sugar and fried food-filled holiday season over the next six weeks. While it may be tempting to restrict your diet on the days that don’t involve a big feast (ie. the day after Thanksgiving), don’t do it. Starving yourself afterwards will leave you with greater cravings, causing you to be more likely to reach into the fridge for pumpkin pie leftovers. Instead, start off your Black Friday with a healthy breakfast; if you have leftover turkey, use it! Pack yourself with protein so that you’re not thinking about the cranberry sauce 30 minutes later.

And, since it is Black Friday, go shopping! It’ll keep you moving, and while it may be a bit hard on your wallet, it’ll get your mind off of all the food your body is expecting after yesterday. It’s also important to bring water with you wherever you decide to go so that you’re not only staying hydrated, but you’re actually aiding your digestive system in its process of breaking down your water-soluble foods. Even going to a yoga class (my favorite is Bodē NYC) can be very beneficial for your digestive system working overtime and can also make you feel less bloated after sweating it out.

Also, avoid drinking beer or wine. Though it is a holiday, alcohol is just added calories and can mix poorly with your food, along with putting an increased strain on your digestive organs, namely your liver. Instead, try some sparkling non-alcoholic drinks. If you do decide to drink alcohol, take some vitamin C or B3 along with it to aid your liver in breaking down the alcohol.

Nevertheless, I encourage all my readers to give themselves a break; it’s been a hard semester, and we all can afford to let go for a day and eat whatever we please. Continue to reassure yourself that Thanksgiving will not permanently alter your health or your progress in the gym. It is good for your mind and focus to take breaks. So enjoy yourself and have an extra piece of pie without feeling the need to put on your running shoes! Most of all, remember what Thanksgiving is all about: sitting down to eat with the people you love and appreciating them—the food is just the bonus.

Nicole Hinz

Columbia Barnard '21

Nicole Hinz is a sophomore at Barnard College studying Neuroscience as a pre-Med student. She grew up in Bend, Oregon and did gymnastics competitively for ten years. Now, she enjoys doing crossfit in the city and is always looking for new forms of exercise around Manhattan. As a writer for Her Campus, Nicole hopes to learn and share exciting ways of staying fit and more importantly, healthy, on a budget. She is an avid Patriots fan and loves all things chocolate. Her instagram is nicole_hinz.