Girls in Morningside: If Shoshanna Went to Barnard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Last year, we brought you a series featuring our favorite ladies from Sex and the City and imagined if they were the girls who lived down the hall from you right now in Hewitt. So, this year we’re gonna bring that idea back and feature the girls from–you guessed it!–HBO’s hit series “Girls”. Whether you “hatewatch” it or can’t get enough of it, these Girls are here to stay for at least a few seasons. Of course, given their ages and geographic locations, it’s not such a stretch to imagine these girls attending classes here at Barnard in the present day. So read on to see Her Campus Barnard’s take on a day in the life of our featured character of the week, Shoshanna.

Let’s face it—we all know Shoshanna has a heart of gold, but sometimes her words come out faster than her thoughts organize themselves. Don’t you wonder if she left her filter back in her quad-double? She’s obviously a first year, new to the “Big City” but definitely grew up in nearby Westchester or Long Island. If you ask her what her major is, she’ll list the first eight things that pop into her head because a) she actually is interested in everything and b) she’s a first year and thankfully doesn’t have to choose yet c) she’s an Athena scholar and has no problem telling you. She’s nowhere to be found during Shabbat, but the second it’s over she’s blowing up your phone with the newest gossip and drama.

Shoshanna’s style has yet to be influenced by the chicness of New York City, though of course it’s only a matter of time before she’s studied the newest Vogue and managed to put together her own city style with picks from H&M and maybe even (shhh) Juicy. She mostly sticks to girly prints, shirtdresses, and bows, favoring hot pink purses that are filled to the brim with lip glosses and pens in every shade of pink. Sometimes she might steal a scarf or two from her über-bohemian roommate…but she always comes to class looking perfectly made-up and polished. She’s not quite ready to break out of her tri-state area mold.

Shoshanna is your girl for the best Sephora makeup, the latest issue of Cosmo, a hug on a rainy day, a yoga buddy (clad in Lululemon, of course), an impromptu trip down Broadway to Pinkberry, a clandestine tequila shot before going out on a Thursday night (Friday lab be damned!), an emerg mani-pedi, a guilty viewing of the Bachelorette, that necessary Friday shopping trip to Zara, and just about everything in between. She is an expert on the world of dating and knows The Rules back and forth…despite lacking the personal experience to back it up.

This girl is a powerhouse. Shoshanna may be apt to run to her RA every time she sees a rat on Claremont, but she is hungry for new experiences and knows that the big city is her key to the perfect future she envisions for herself. She may be wide-eyed under those signature dark brows of hers, but she definitely gutsy (experimental smoking in Bushwick warehouse parties aside). What a strong, beautiful, bold Barnard woman!

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!