Get To Know Them: 10 Facts About Chainsmokers and Lupe Fiasco

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Bacchanal is almost here people! We are all excited to get out there and have some well-deserved fun… but first let me tell you 10 facts about the artists gracing Low Steps on Saturday:

1.     The Chainsmokers are a New York City based duo consisting of members Andrew Taggart (born 1989) and Alex Pall (born 1985).

2.     The duo rose to fame with their 2014 hit “#SELFIE“. We’ve all heard it. And we love it

3.     Andrew Taggart was born in 1989 in Portland, ME. Alex Pall was born in 1985 in New York City.

4.     They have played at Marquee Las Vegas & New York, LIV Miami, Lavo New York, Pacha New York, Set Miami, Greystone Manor LA, Sound LA, Terminal 5 New York, Roseland New York, Paradiso Amsterdam, Soldier Field Chicago, Thekla Bristol, Pangaea Singapore, Villa Ibiza, 1OAK Las Vegas & New York, Opium Barcelona and headlined Electro Beach in Puerto Vallarta and Bangon! Music Festival and are scheduled to play the world famous TomorrowWorld in Atlanta.

5.     Currently, all of their remixes have all found their way onto Hype Machine’s popular charts, all charting in the Top 3 with over +100k plays each, and their last FIVE remixes have all charted consecutively at #1.

6.     Lupe Fiasco birth name is Wasalu Muhammad Jaco

7.     He began rapping in junior high school and joined a group called da Pak several years later

8.     Fiasco eventually landed at Atlantic. His first single “Kick, Push,” peaked at number eight on the Billboard 200 and earned three Grammy nominations; “Daydreamin'” (featuring Jill Scott) won the award for Best Urban/Alternative Performance.

9.     The release of his third album, Lasers had many delays that culminated in a petition signed by over 30,000 followers who demanded that Atlantic release the long-delayed album, which was followed by a fan protest outside the label’s New York City offices. Lasers, finally issued by Atlantic in March 2011, topped three charts: the Billboard 200, Hot R&B/Hip Hop Albums, and Hot Rap Albums.

10.  Fiasco call for a boycott of the magazine Spin publication in which the magazine criticized his songs “Around My Way (Freedom Ain’t Free)” (for its bold use of Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth’s 1992 classic “They Reminisce Over You [T.R.O.Y.]”) and “Bitch Bad”