This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Okay, before you say anything, I am not trying to convince all of you that Taylor Swift might like girls, nor am I forcing a sexuality on her (if you see this Taylor, you do you). This is solely for fun and to put my detective skills to use. Also, I said “Gaylor Swift” because it works, but this is evidence that Taylor Swift could be anything BUT straight, so, bisexual, pansexual, queer, all of those are on the table. Also, I’d like to say, my Her Campus team made me do this … Alright, with that being said, let’s jump into it. And, please, fasten your seatbelts, because this is going to be the wildest ride.

Let’s start with some preliminary reasons as to why Taylor Swift hasn’t just come out already. First, her initial fandom was completely based and rooted in Tennessee. Tennessee, as we know, is pretty conservative (minus Nashville), and generally does not support gay rights. Of course, I am not speaking for everyone who lives in Tennessee, but, you get the picture. So, if Taylor Swift were to come out officially, who’s to say she wouldn’t lose a lot of her fanbase, given that it’s planted in a very conservative area. Second, Taylor had a hard time convincing her team to let her take ANY political stance. If you watched her documentary, Miss Americana, she shows this struggle with her team. There is a scene where Marsha Blackburn, a woman running for senate, is gaining a lot of traction in Tennessee. Taylor was completely against her as she wanted to essentially make the world an even worse place for women. Ms. Swift (that’s got a nice ring to it) did not want to stand idly by while this woman got all the praise. So, the documentary shows her fighting with her team and eventually, she wins, and posts about how she feels politically. BOOM. Taylor Swift is liberal. 

Okay, let’s get into the real stuff. I really don’t know how to organize all this so I’m gonna do a list of all the things that Taylor Swift has done or written about that scream GAY!! This is in no particular order because, again, I don’t know how to organize it. Also, I didn’t really start listening to Taylor until Lover (minus her big hits), so if you notice a lack of analysis during that part of her life, I sincerely apologize. 

Dianna Agron and “Wonderland”

​For those of you who don’t know Dianna Agron, she is Quinn in Glee. That is the only thing I know her from and from what I’m about to tell you. So, Swift and Agron met around 2011 and after that, there were some major clues in Swift’s songs, especially “Wonderland.” Let’s look at some lyrics. First of all, Dianna Agron has super bright green eyes, which show up more than once in “Wonderland.” Also, some of you might argue that she’s talking about Harry Styles, but just wait for the rest of what I have to say. Swift writes in her first verse, “Haven’t you heard of what becomes of curious minds?” Curious, meaning what, Taylor? Huh? You got something to say? Curious about girls? Hmmm maybe!! Also, get this, in verse two, she writes, “Too in love to think straight.” Like, literally, too in love to think straight. She is thinking GAY, people! There are also so many lines about people whispering and rumors spreading, which is pretty suspicious. 

Here’s the best thing about this. Dianna Agron has continuously said that her favorite movie is Alice in Wonderland, which is what “Wonderland” is loosely based on (she mentions the Cheshire Cat and a rabbit hole). Also, Agron got a tattoo that said “We’re all mad here” (which is from the movie) but got it removed a couple of years ago. TEA!

Karlie Kloss and “Dress”

Okay so “Dress” might be the gayest song Taylor has ever released and Karlie Kloss might be the strongest evidence of a gay relationship that Taylor has ever had. Kloss and Swift met in 2013, backstage at a Victoria Secret show (if that’s not gay what is?). After that, they were literally inseparable. They took road trips together and posted pictures of them together on social media like crazy. Let me hit you with the first lyrics of “Dress.” “Our secret moments in your crowded room, they’ve got no idea about me and you.” So, why the secrets, Taylor, huh? Also the line, “I don’t want you like a best friend,” could apply to a dude, but who says that about a guy? Sounds like Karlie to me! 

Get ready for the biggest evidence of all. In the bridge of “Dress,” Swift writes, “Flashback when you met me, Your buzzcut and my hair bleached.” When they met, those were their two, respective, hair cuts!! You can look up pictures, I’ll wait. You back? Crazy, right?!!

Miscellaneous 

1. “You Need to Calm Down” is just evidence in itself. Yes, she calls herself an ally, but who writes an entire song dedicated to the gay community and isn’t a part of it? Confusion. 
  2. Karlie Kloss and Taylor Swift had a place on Cornelia Street. Guess what the name of a song on Swift’s Lover album is called? Yup, “Cornelia Street.” 
  3. In Lover, Taylor has a song called “False God.” That’s just gay in itself. 
  4. People think that Swift is with Joe Alywn right now (which she could be, she’s just probably bi). However, listen closely to “champagne problems.” Kinda sounds like he proposed and she said no. Also, if the song is based on real events, people said she was “f***** in the head.” Trust me, that is homophobia. 
  5. In evermore Swift has a song called “tolerate it.” The punchline in this song is, “I know my love should be celebrated, but you tolerate it.” Guess what, these are the exact lines she said in an interview in response to a question about parents who kick out their kids for being gay. BOOM — gay!
  6. In another song in evermore, called “dorothea,” Swift writes, “And if you’re ever tired of being known for who you know, you know, you’ll always have me.” Kloss is married to Joshua Kushner. Yup, the Kushners. So, makes sense that Kloss would be known for who she knows, huh? 
  7. In folklore, Swift has a song called “illicit affairs.” That is all. 
  8. Swift sings from the perspective of a man (James)  throughout folklore

Y’all, there is so much more but I am getting TIRED! Again, this is all for fun and could definitely all be fake (nope). And, Taylor, honey, you’re so talented, and if you’re reading this and you’re not a part of the LGBTQ+ community, you have a lot of explaining to do. Love you!

Aria Narang

Columbia Barnard '24

Hi! My name is Aria Narang and I absolutely love writing! I am a singer/songwriter and have written over 50 songs and also have a couple of them out on Spotify! I am very excited to write for Her Campus!