galentine\'s day party
galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio

Galentine’s Day: A Holiday Invented by Leslie Knope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

What is galentine’s day?

Galentine’s Day is a holiday that occurs the day before Valentine’s Day, February 13th. It is a day to celebrate your female friendships and sisterhood! It doesn’t matter if you are in a relationship, single, or somewhere in the middle; Galentine’s Day is a great way to take a day and recognize the importance of the people that you surround yourself with. 

Where did it come from? 

The holiday was “officially” created in the popular sitcom Parks and Recreation by Leslie Knope — the main character. In Season 2, Episode 16, Knope invites all of her closest female friends to brunch in order for “ladies to celebrate ladies.” She goes on to give each guest a personalized present to show them that she truly values their friendship. The holiday is mentioned a few more times throughout the show. It has gained a lot of popularity over the past couple of years, with big retailers like Walmart, Target, and Costco even choosing to “celebrate” the holiday.  

what do you do? 

Anything is on the table! There are no rules when it comes to this made-up holiday! In the show, they typically have brunch and give each other gifts, but there are so many options out there that you can choose from you don’t need to limit yourself to just what you saw on the screen. You can go out to eat, go shopping, cook, bake, go on a picnic, watch a movie, have a self-care night, etc. And because of the growing popularity of the holiday, there are a lot of presents that come out around this time that you could get your friends. 

My favorite quotes from the galentine’s day episode:

“Every February 13, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies!” 

“Hoes before, bros. Uteruses before duderuses. Ovaries before brovaries.”

“I guess some people object to powerful depictions of awesome ladies.”

“You are more fabulous than Condoleezza Rice, Hillary Clinton, Susan B. Anthony, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Madeline Albright rolled together.”

Have an Amazing Galentine’s Day! And make sure you spend some time with your gal pals! 

Mahati Shastry

Columbia Barnard '24

Mahati is a junior at Barnard who is excited to experience the wonder that is NYC. She loves reading, writing, and spending time outdoors.