The Five Stages of #GettingBackGivingBack

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Our chapter was so excited when our back to school survival kit arrived. Her Campus always has the most amazing sponsors, and we love seeing what they come up with each semester. This year, our #HCSurvivalKits could not have come at a better time.  After a long September of getting back into the swing of things on campus and seeing what all of our Her Campus team members accomplished over the summer, the survival kits really helped to get us started off on the right foot. And, they reminded us what is really important this semester.  Her Campus helps us show #GettingBackGivingBack every day. We want to encourage each other and our team to do their best in school, work, and clubs, but also to take some time out for themselves! Here’s our advice:

1)     DECORATE YOUR ROOM WITH THINGS THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO YOU

Pretty things are great, but you should hang things up on your walls that actually mean something to you. A great way to do this is to make some decorations with your friends. This way, you also have memories with the artwork on your walls. We’ve been doing this with the Martha Stewart Crafts supplies from Her Campus. They’re also great to decorate photos. Several of our editors have also added their HCXO pendant to their walls. (Also, buy an adult coloring book.)

2)      TAKE A BREAK WHEN YOU NEED ONE

Her Campus was kind enough to send us 5 Hour Energy and cold medicine. We’re sure we’re going to need some in the future. If you’ve read eight textbooks in a week, take some time and read a novel from Penguin Random House, or go to yoga, or go to a spin class. 

3)      EAT GOOD FOOD

Her Campus loves Chipotle. Us…not so much, but we do love free stuff and #respect that all of their ingredients are non-GMO. They remind us everyday to think about what we’re putting into our body. Additionally, we want to make sure our food is good for the planet too. (This is another reason we love the Zing™ Zero Calorie Stevia Sweetener.) Luckily, we have some resident His Campus boys with stronger digestive systems who put our “buy one get one free” Chipotle coupons to good use by inhaling some burritos or whatever people get at Chipotle. 

4)     DON’T BE AFRAID TO WATCH HAIR AND MAKE-UP TUTORIALS ON YOUTUBE

Make-up is hard, like really challenging. Don’t be afraid to watch how-to’s on the internet. Some of the girls who teach beauty tips online are really talented and some celebrities even post their routines. I’m sure everyone has that one friend who is just really good at eye shadow. Chances are, they learned from YouTube. Ask them for some links. We will definitely be practicing our skills with the NYC New York Color eye shadow crayons and TRESemmé hair products given that our hair cooperates. Also, the blue shadow crayon was incredible for Homecoming face art.

5)     DO THINGS FOR A CAUSE

Thanks to My Social Canvas, She’s The First, and No Ceilings: The Full Participation Project, we’re feeling especially generous this semester. My Social Canvas is a New York City-based social enterprise fashion brand that involves students and emerging designers in creating apparel collections for a cause, She’s the First provides scholarships to girls in low-income countries, fostering first-generation graduates and cultivating the next generation of global leaders, and The Full Participation Project: No Ceilings: The Full Participation Project is an initiative of the Clinton Foundation that works to advance and inspire the full participation of girls and women in the 21st century. How cool! Everyone should get involved with a great organization that really means something to them.

PS:

Also, use pretty accessories. MZ Wallace is a design company launched in 2000 by Monica Zwirner and Lucy Wallace Eustice, and we love their classic Chelsea Tote because is the perfect everyday bag to get us around campus.

Sarah Fels

Columbia Barnard