etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A First Year’s First Time at JJ’s Place

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

One of the most fun, and arguably boldest, things I have taken on during my three weeks here at Barnard has been my first adventure into JJ’s.

Not only is JJ’s underground, giving it a secret society sort of vibe, but the additional hype from upperclassmen about newfound swipe access and endless junk food compelled me and my friends to venture down the stairs and see what it was all about.

After eating mainly at Hewitt for three weeks, one can understand why my jaw literally dropped upon taking one step inside. I hadn’t even seen the chicken fingers or the Jamba Juice yet and I was already drooling.

Popcorn, fries, burgers, gummy bears, pretzels, soda fountains, smoothies, quesadillas, and every dipping sauce you could ever want. Granted, the physical room where the food is served was small and featured a salad bar (really a stranger among the rest), but I was already impressed.

So I got my food and was ready to dig in. Overwhelmed and already satisfied, I went down the hallway to find myself in even more like a secret clubhouse for junk food eaters. Wooden tables and chairs, bar stools, big comfy cushions with coffee tables, TVs…it really was magical.

Maybe it was just my need for something that was sugary and delicious, but I enjoyed that late night meal like none other before. So, for any other first-years out there, if you haven’t been to JJ’s, go. Now. Really. And for those of you that have been before, go. Still go. It is both fun and bold, and I highly recommend it.

First year at Barnard College in New York City