Finals Style: How to Look Like a Functioning Human While Living the in Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Well collegiettes, it’s that time again… finals. The summer is so close you can taste it, but first we have to waste the beautiful weather on cramming for exams and sleeping in Butler. I know that when you’re shut up in the library for hours at a time, it can be easy to let yourself go – we’re talking full-on slippers, sweatpants, and a stain-covered shirt – but don’t forget that when you look better, you feel better. Doing something as simple as putting on a little makeup, fixing your hair, or wearing a socially appropriate outfit can make you feel more confident, beautiful, and ready to tackle your studying! Here are some easy ways to stay chic and put together when all you want to do is wear your PJs.

1. Try a messy updo

Just woke up and don’t have time to shower? Throw your hair into a quick but cute updo and look like you actually spent time on your hair. Spray your hair with dry shampoo first to keep it smelling good & not oily! Who needs soap when you have beauty hacks?

2. Fake-Awake with makeup hacks

Use highlighter or white shadow on the cheekbones on top of concealer, under the brow bones, and in the corners of your eyes, use light or skin colored eyeliner on the lower rim of your eyes, use a brow pencil to arch your brows more, and do a cat-eye or a subtle eyeshadow swooped up towards the edges of your face – all of these things give the illusion that your eyes are wider than they are, making you look more awake! #wokeuplikethis?

3. Keep your fragrance game strong

By the time you’ve been in the library for 12 hours (and haven’t showered in god knows how long), let’s be real: you probably don’t smell your freshest. Here are some hacks: spray your clothes with “fresh linen” febreeze before you get dressed (NO SHAME), keep Bounce dryer sheets and/or baby wipes in your purse so you can refresh your clothes/skin every so often, and here’s the biggy: put vaseline on your wrists/neck before you spray perfume – it makes the fragrance last longer!

4. Dress up your sweatpants

Guess what? You can wear sweatpants and a t-shirt as long as you like – if you put on a leather jacket, everyone will think you’re stylish as opposed to just plain dirty.

5. Wear jewelry

Throwing on a necklace or chucky earrings is another great way to make your comfy t-shirt or sweatshirt look intentionally “messy chic.”

Sofia Lyons

Columbia Barnard

I'm a first year student at Barnard and aspiring fashion journalist, hoping to bring my fellow collegiettes some style tips & info about upcoming trends! I also love singing/songwriting, dancing, event planning, community service, eating good food, and exploring NYC.